1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

ICS problem on wireless peer-to-peer connection

Hi,

I'm new to this board and relatively new to networking.

I've set up a wireless peer-to-peer connection using MA111 Netgear wireless USB adapters between my Desktop and my Notebook. Folder and print sharing work just fine and and I can ping both machines back and forth. But I have some problems with ICS. I get the ICS connection icon in Notebook's Network Connections pannel, but when I try to open a browser page I get a request for a connection. If I enter www.google.com in the browser's address field, I get the sam problem. But if I enter http://216.239.59.99 or whatever, then I can browse to that site, though I'll still get the annoying popup asking for a connection.

Any ideas?
  3. Retired Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you can address the IP address, but not the domain name, then it's a DNS issue. Go to your ISPs website and look for information about their DNS servers - you should be able to find the address of two of their servers. Once you've found them, open up Network Connections from the Control Panel. Right-click the Local Area Connection, select Properties and double-click Internet Protocol TCP/IP. At the bottom of the new window, there's a space to enter in the DNS servers of your ISP.

HTH,

Edwin
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thumbs up It Woooooooorks!

Thanks, Edwin. That's what the probelm was!
  7. Retired Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by CDRome
    Thanks, Edwin. That's what the probelm was!
    No problem - glad it works

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo