1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Internet keeps going down

Hi there,

I have a network setup for my small business. The network was put in a few years ago and until recently everything has worked great. About a month ago the internet started going out randomly. When we reset the modem and the firewall the internet comes back. But the problem is that the internet goes out at least once a day and now I cannot access my server remotely from my house on the weekends.

I outsource my computer issues to a small IT company that usually takes care of all my computer problems but they cannot figure it out.

We thought it was the internet service (DSL) so we switched carriers to a cable modem and the problem persisted. The IT company then switched out the firewall (same model) but that did not work either.

My Setup:

SMC Networks Cable modem connected to a "Netgear Prosafe WPN Firewall FVS318" then connected to a "Netgear FS116" switch.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Windows?
    When it goes down, open up a command prompt (in Accessories) and run "ping 8.8.8.8" as well as "ipconfig /flushdns && ping google.com". What does it say for both?
  5. No Profile Picture

Its windows XP professional.

The internet just went down again and I had time to gather some info. All this was gathered right after the internet was down. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

when I type "ping 8.8.8.8 it says:

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=51
    Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=51
    Ping Statistics for 8.8.8.8:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 36ms, Maximum = 40ms, Average = 37ms

After I successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache and typed "ping google.com" it says:

Reply from 74.125.45.99: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=51
    Reply from 74.125.45.99: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=51
    Reply from 74.125.45.99: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=51
    Reply from 74.125.45.99: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=51
    Ping statistics for 74.125.45.99:
    Packets:Sent = 4, Recieved = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
    Approximate round trip time in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 37ms, Maximum = 40ms, Average = 38ms
  7. Transforming Moderator

It looks like it's working. What makes you say it's down? Can you visit google.com?
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    It looks like it's working. What makes you say it's down? Can you visit google.com?
    Today it went down again. What I mean by that is we cant open any websites from any of the computers on the network. When it went down today I was still able to ping websites from the CMD but not able to open any websites. I am so confused and this problem is really annoying. Thanks for reading.
  11. No Profile Picture

everyday at 3:30pm

Everyday at 3:30pm the internet goes down now. Its like clockwork. I am able to ping websites from the computers on my network, but I am unable to visit web pages from a browser.
  13. Transforming Moderator

Is there anything besides the modem that all the computers have to go through to get to the Internet? Clearly, if they're all having the same problem at the same time, it's got to be in one place. The modem is the most obvious offender but you say you've tried switching that out. Any other routers or switches or hubs?

And something to test: reset the modem at some random point in the day that isn't near 3:30pm (like morning or evening). The next time it goes out, does it go out at 3:30pm or 24 hours after you reset the modem?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo