1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Internet Is Acting Oddly

My internet is doing this weird thing where it won't load things properly but anything I currently have an active connection to (AIM, Facebook chat, etc.) will continue to function. So it's like my internet is still working, but I can't load or connect to anything new (thus, I can't click on any links or refresh a webpage) without getting a "This webpage is not available" message.

Doing ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew (doing just renew without release doesn't work) will fix the issue for like... anywhere from thirty seconds to ten minutes, meaning I constantly have to have command prompt open. Restarting my computer will make it work again for a day or two.

What browser I use doesn't seem to matter (tried both Chrome and IE), and this happens both at home and on my school network, so I know it has to be my computer itself.

I have updated my wireless drivers, so that shouldn't be the issue, either.

Thanks in advance!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Sound like it could be a dns issue. You could try configuring 3rd party dns servers like opendns and see if that makes any difference.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I would agree with Oreo, but if it's doing this at two different locations, it's probably not a DNS issue since you'd be using different DNS servers at your house and school. Try running ipconfig /flushdns from a command prompt. Reboot and see if that fixes it.

If that doesn't work, try running the following command and reboot.

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

OpenDNS seemed to work for awhile - but then the problems started back up.

So I tried netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

... Now my internet doesn't work. Like.... At all. It won't detect any wireless networks.

:Edit: I plugged in via ethernet and did a whole bunch of driver updates and my wireless is back on now. So I'm hoping the original problem is fixed! It'll probably take awhile before I'll know again, like last time.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Resetting the TCP/IP stack would blow out a static IP on your wireless card if you had one set, but it shouldn't have "broken" your access. Glad updating the driver got it working again for you. Your problem should be solved.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo