Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Why is my IP Address 0.0.0.0??

I was trying to access the Internet from a Win 2000 machine and it couldn't go to the website. I checked around looking for the problem and I found that my IP address is 0.0.0.0.

Usually it's 192.168.1.something assigned by the DHCP -which I don't really understand the purpose of but it seems to do some automatic stuff that is needed for Internet access on the network- but I couldn't change the IP address. I tried ipconfig /renew, which said the network had an error or I didn't have access.

However I can access shared folders on other computers on the same network. What's going on? How can I change the IP address?

Is there a way to force the IP address to 0.0.0.0??

I'm going to try to statically set the IP address but I want the IP address to be set automatically.

--
    Interested in AI? Give me a shout
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Try in the command line:
    Code:
    ipconfig /renew
    This should get an IP Address if not try an static IP.

Thanks,
    Nick125
  5. No Profile Picture

dhcp error

try re-starting dhcp, if this dont work its either faulty nic or ISP error

right click my computer click manage---> double click services and applications----> double click services----> then double click dhcp client start up type should be automatic and service stauts should be started... if these are ok try re-installing ur nic disable any network bridges u have and re start everything.....

if these dont work as i said its either faulty nic or isp connection
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

At the command propt type ipconfig/all and you should see all of your network info. The 0.0.0.0 is your host (PC) not your network cards IP address. This is normal and every PC will have this. Your IP address will be something in the realm of 192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.1 or something like that.

-DudeDomain
  9. No Profile Picture

Restarting DHCP

I'm the one with the problem, which has not been completely resolved though thanks to all comments so far - helpful indeed.

The DHCP I am using comes from a Linksys router, which seems to be quite good with every computer except this one, where ipconfig /all tells me the IP address is 0.0.0.0.

For some reason, the Linksys wants to set the IP address for this computer to 192.168.1.99, while usually the IP address is at least .100 or greater so .99 might indicate some problem?????

I can statically set the IP address, but I want to be able to dynamically get the address. After I set the static IP, I can see the shared folders on more computers; otherwise one other computer does have a problem connecting.

Do I need a dynamic address for Internet access? That always seemed to be a requirement.

Other machines are ok with IP address, Internet access, everything.
  11. Retired Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by workingForLivin
    Do I need a dynamic address for Internet access? That always seemed to be a requirement.
    Nope, a dynamic IP address is not requred for Internet access. What is more important is the settings that the NIC card has. It doesn't make a different whether they are handed out by the router or you set them manually, just as long as they are correct. If you're having trouble with DHCP, you could just set it manually and as you've already found, this should work. I doubt you'll ever need to change these settings, so there's no real advantage for DHCP.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Edwin - You are correct in that DHCP is not required. But, if you don't use it you better understand IP and your infrastructure, in particular your ISP and their changing IP address, DNS, and Gateway.
  15. Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by dbasnett
    Edwin - You are correct in that DHCP is not required. But, if you don't use it you better understand IP and your infrastructure, in particular your ISP and their changing IP address, DNS, and Gateway.
    True if it concerns the ISP. If they were to change their IP addresses, DNS servers and gateways then you would be in problems. But, as long as you manually assign all the correct details and make sure they're up to date, it won't actually make a difference to the computer. The only problems will come if the ISP changes settings.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

We agree. If you know what you are doing DHCP isn't required.
  19. Big Daddy
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Workin,

Did you get it working? If it works with setting a static IP, but is not getting a dhcp address from the router, there could be a problem with the dhcp service running on the 2000 machine. Check on that by start -> settings -> control panel -> administrative tools -> services.

Once in services, you should see "dhcp client" in the list. Is it running? If not, start it up and try again. If it is running, stop it and restart it. See if you get any errors. You might also want to check Event Viewer ans look for dhcp errors. My suspicion is that there will be some. Post those errors here and we'll have a look.

Chris
    Pop, pop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is!
  21. No Profile Picture

What do you know?

I connected another computer to the network - same problem, but this computer worked the other day.

This time I unplugged the router and waited about 30 sec and plugged it back in again (I power cycled it for about 5 sec the previous day without effect). Now everything is normal. Seems that the router was having small problems, likely attributable to construction activity in the room, which might have dropped some dust on the router. The electronics worked for almost every function but DHCP...

At least the error was recoverable.
  23. Big Daddy

Probably. Sometimes the firmware in the routers just gets wigged out a bit. Glad it's working!

Chris
  25. Retired Moderator

Sorry, but I just have to say this because Chris called you "Workin" above:

Glad it's working workin
  27. Big Daddy

Originally Posted by edwinbrains
    Sorry, but I just have to say this because Chris called you "Workin" above:

Glad it's working workin
    roflmao!
  29. Retired Moderator

yeah I know, I'm such a sad troll
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo