1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question how to get my ip adress

hi there ,

I'm new to linux so if this is a stupied question then i'm sorry . I am running linux red hat 9 and using a nethear router for dsl all works fine intill i try and run a server so was going to try placing the pc in the dmz zone of the router but not sure on how to get the ip adress of my pc ? have been told by some people to use the shell and type ifconfig but this does not work for me . thanks for any help in advance dan
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

My advice is to type ifconfig from a shell

If that doesn't work for you what are the results? You may need to be root, or try whereis ifconfig and enter the full path.
  5. Banned ;)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Yeah, you want to type this:
    /sbin/ifconfig

Mostly, /sbin isn't in a normal user's path, so if you simply type "ifconfig", it won't know where to find it. So you might have to specify the path explicitly.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question ip address

when you tryed ipconfig did you put /all also i dont know if it will wirl but try winipcfg and when the sec. block comes up click the down arrow and select the net card and look there
  9. Banned ;)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Just for clarification, the bear's reply will work for Windows. The original question was for linux and the replies above the bear's post will work for linux and other *nix systems. I'm making this point here so that anyone reading this post won't get confused
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo