1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Iphone Connection Across a network...

Looking for a way i can share my iphones internet connection accross a network, I've done this before years ago but i was sharing dialup back then useing windows 2000 server.

From memory i had windows server setup with the modem and dial on demand or what ever its called, a lan card on a separate subnet as to the rest of my network which came out of the server into the internet port on my linksys hub thus replicating a boardband connection into the router.

Now this is where is gets fuzzy i'm pretty sure the router just did the handing out of Dhcp to the rest of the network just like i had your everyday broadband.

does everybody understand what i'm trying to do here ?

a link to a howto or some more info would be great !

Cheers, Drew
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What you're trying to do is called "Tethering", but I have no idea how to do it on an iPhone.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I don't know on an iphone either, on my android phone it's real easy to turn my phone into a wifi hotspot for my 4g connection. On T-Mobile it's a small extra monthly cost to enable tethering.

What you're remembering from windows desktops is ICS - Internet Connection Sharing. Like tethering, basically ICS is software that turns your computer into a NAT router.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Bridge the Iphone connection with a seperate NIC that is the outbound connection!

try that
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

If you just need to enable your iPhone as a personal hotspot, read here.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo