1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

L3 Switch Recommendations for Inter-VLAN Routing

I was hoping to get some guidance on selecting a suitable Ethernet switch for use without our application. We're an OEM/Integration vendor and the switch will be installed with our commercial building control and automation system. Two of the biggest considerations for the switch are cost and support for Inter-VLAN routing.

We originally had our sights set on the Cisco Catalyst 3560-24PS along with the 48-Port model, the Catalyst 3560-48PS. It was a perfect match to our requirements but it looks like Cisco might have stopped production on that model, although I can't seem to find out for sure.

I've been focusing my search on L3 switches primarily because I was told somewhere along the way that Inter-VLAN routing requires a layer 3 switch. I pretty sure Cisco doesn't classify their OSI/switching functions using in between terms like L2+ or L3 Lite. So when I say I need a Layer 3 switch it really just needs to support Inter-VLAN routing.

Here are the main requirements of the switch:
    - Fast Ethernet 10/100
    - 24 & 48 port models
    - PoE on some or all ports
    - CLI or telnet management for remote admin
    - Multicast group support
    - IGMP support
    - VLAN support (port & tag base VLAN)
    - Inter-VLAN routing capable
    - Stackable for future expansion

I was hoping to find a solid and reliable switch for less than $1500 (24-port model) if possible. At the very highest I'd prefer not to exceed $2000 for a 24-port model. Like I said, I thought we found what we were looking for in the Catalyst 3560-24PS but I'm having a hard time finding it among the Cisco resellers. I've had no problem finding the Gigabit model (3560G-24PS) but that pushes me above the $2,000 price ceiling.

Here is my list of switch candidates, in no particular order:
    - Dell PowerConnect 6224P
    - HP ProCurve 2610-24-PoE (PPoE model provides less PoE ports at lower cost)
    - HP ProCurve 3500-24-PoE (Not sure how this model differs from above, appears to be similar cost)
    - Netgear ProSafe GSM7228PS
    - Juniper EX2200
    - Cisco Catalyst 3560-24PS (not sure if still available)

I think I'm leaning towards the HP ProCurve and Juniper, but they all seem to be worthy candidates. If anyone can shed any light on the pros/cons of the above switch models I would greatly appreciate it. If I've overlooked a particular switch please feel free to add it to my list. And goes without saying, please post personal recommendations.

Many thanks!!
  3. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Look at the 3560-x its the next generation, same family.
    Adam TT

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo