1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

? Linux Server for home network ?

I'm sorry if this is a repeat and has been covered...I tried searching a bit through the forums for this topic and may have missed it.

I'd like to get info (sites, how-tos, etc) on how best to setup a home network where a Linux machine will be the server.

Basically, given that I have a router as my access point to the net with a 4 port switch I will not use the server as my router...instead I want the server to be a file server and profile server. Say I have a windows machine (XP or other) to which I log in. I want this machine to contact the linux server and get the profile information from it. This is so I can log onto any machine and have the same setup on it...same inbox on my outlook machine, same access. I've done this before with a linux server for Sun, HPUX and Linux machines where I simply used NFS for my passwords and exported my drives. It's much simpler going linux to Unix (or Linux) then it is Linux to Windows....so if anyone has suggestions as to what needs to be then I'd really appreciate that. Basiclly, what needs to be done on Linux side and what needs to be done on Windows side.

Oh, and which Linux do you all prefer? I'm partial to Mandrake but willing to change...

Thanks,

Mario Z.
  3. Throws Rocks
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I'm not necessarily sure about synching your inbox for example; but you can set up shares with Samba - http://samba.org - and you can do remote desktop work with VNC (search google).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo