1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

T/W Motorola modem & Netgear router help

Hello all, I am having an issue with port forwarding. I want to set up my ipcam to be able to be viewed remotely (from outside my home network)

My home network is set up as follows: there is a motorola residential gateway cable modem model SURFboard SBG6580 and a Netgear WNR2000v2 wireless router.

The problem is that i can not remotely view the camera. It works fine from within the house, but can't see it remotely.

My suspicion is that the modem is not forwarding through the router. The router's internet ip is 192.168.0.3 and it's LAN ip is 192.168.1.1.

Any thoughts?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

From the Router internet IP that you gave, it tells me that your cable modem has a router built into it.
    So, you would either need to find a way to bridge the modem so all routing is done thru your NetGear, or, you will need to find a way to place the Router's internet IP into the Cable modem's DMZ.

there may be other options available, but, those are the first 2 that came to mind for me.
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi and thanks for the reply.

They are bridged.

What can i check next?
  7. No Profile Picture

Time Warner wants to charge for using their modem as a wireless router so I am using my own Netgear wireless router behind the modem
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

if the IP given to the NetGear is 192.168.0.3, then, your modem is not bridged.
    If it were bridged, you would be getting a public IP instead of a Private IP as the Internet IP in your Netgear.

Doing a Google for "SURFboard SBG6580 bridging" gives lots of results to help you make sure that Modem IS running in Bridged Mode.
  11. No Profile Picture

ah, then i will check that. thanks for now

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo