1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Multiple devices cannot access internet when one device is using max bandwidth

Hello!

On my network, whenever one device is downloading something, or approximately 2 devices are streaming, another user cannot browse the web whatsoever. Also, if a user is downloading something, they cannot simultaneously browse the internet. I don't know what to call this issue but I've been struggling with it for at least a year now, and I've had enough. The router will not adjust the bandwidth allotted to the individual devices to make up for it.

I'm having lots of difficulty with my ISP and the modem-router combo device they've given me, but I'm just trying to find some place to start fixing all my problems. I would be grateful for anything. Please prod me for further info if needed.

Thank you!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I believe the term you are searching for is "QoS" or Quality of Service.

I highly suggest you find a way to "bridge" your modem/router from ISP into just modem and purchase a mid to high end router that suports QoS, and setup rules for the traffic on your network.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Wow, thank you! I had originally thought that might be the term I was looking for.

The router has QoS settings on it that are enabled, but they don't seem to work anymore. As you said, my plan was to complain and get a new modem, then purchase a decent Linksys router. I wanted to make sure there wasn't something else I could do. The modem does allow me to create custom QoS parameters but I'm not sure how to set them up. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo