1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Network cabling works for windows7, but not XP, or apple router

Apologies in advance, I'm a bit new to DIY networking, so please excuse my ignorance! Thanks...

I hijacked the internal phone lines in the walls in my house, that use cat5e cabling, to carry LAN traffic with my fiber ISP.
    Everything is setup for gigabit transmissions, with cat5e cables.
    All hijcaked and converted phone line wall sockets work fine except for one socket.
    The socket works fine for my windows7 desktop, and i've used an rj45 network cable tester to verify its okay (the internal cabling is probably about 20meters long).
    Using speedtest.net i can get download of 100mbps, and upload of 40-50mbps.

Using the same socket and cable, my old Apple Airport Extreme (2nd gen) router cant even connect to the internet (in bridge mode).
    My windowsXP laptop can get an IP, and can download at around 100mbps, but cant transmit data out, showing less than 0.08mbps upload, or completely erroring out trying to test upload, and surfing is very very slow.
    If I bypass the internal wall cabling, and connect directly to my Asus RT-N66U router, everything works fine.

I DONT GET IT??!?! Is Win7 doing something dynamic, to compensate for some crossed wires or interference?
    Please help, as I'm completely stumped!
    Thanks in advance!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

have you tried both crossover and straight cables?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by onlinegamesnz
    have you tried both crossover and straight cables?
    I have only tried straight cables. Is there a reason to try crossover cables? I'm linking a router to a laptop. I'll try a crossover cable just for the heck of it though.

Thanks for the response.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

When you say the cable tested ok, what exactly do you mean by that? What model of tester did you use and what reading did it give you to indicate it's ok? The only reason I ask, is if the XP machine works fine connected to the router, then it's not any of the devices; which just leaves the cable itself. Granted this doesn't explain why the Win7 machine worked. Did you run multiple speed tests or try sending across a large file over the LAN to verify you didn't just get one good reading from the Win7 machine?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo