1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Smile Network extentions or adapters or new router.

Hello,
    I looked though quite a few older posts and can't see anything that relates to the help and advice I'm after. But sorry if i've missed it I'm part of a forum management team and I know how annoying it is.

My question is this, sky fitted my internet done though a bt line, the only place they could put it was in my kitchen, i made them extend it to the living room as nothing could get a signal though the fridge etc. They provide you with a wireless modem/router on one its a N rated netgear thats all thats on it but im sure I could find out more.

While in the living room I can get a signal, but thats it, of course as i get further away it gets weaker. So my question is whats the best way to improve the situation. I im running a gold plated usb with a wireless reciver usb on it to my computer. its not ideal drops out all the time no good at all for gaming, to be wired I would need at least 15ft of cable for round the door ways. Im thinking of maybe eather adding in another wireless router in the hall somwhere to boost the signal or getting a new router better than the one sky provides or upgrading the internet adapter since its an older netgear one that came free origanly with our first router about 5 years ago.
    I don't know whats going to be my best but cheapest option, pc world of couse where not much help.
    thank you in advance
  3. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I'm not sure what you mean by a "bt line". Could you explain what you mean by that? It could make a world of difference in what your options are. Also, I just want to confirm you said you have a modem AND a router? Or is it a combination router and modem in one device?
    Adam TT
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by AdamPI
    I'm not sure what you mean by a "bt line". Could you explain what you mean by that? It could make a world of difference in what your options are. Also, I just want to confirm you said you have a modem AND a router? Or is it a combination router and modem in one device?
    Its a combi device, and by line I mean phone line, my internet is not dial up how ever it does come though a phone line. thanks
  7. Automagically Delicious

That helps. What you could do, if you already have a phone line in the other room, is move the whole shebang over there. All that you need to worry about is that the DSL Filter stays attached in front of any land-line phones you have.

Otherwise you could also run a phone line into the other room, that could be less intrusive than running a Cat5e cable over. Especially since they do make flat phone cables. Personally, I'd try to make purchasing another router/switch as a last resort. I'd also recommend a hard-line if you're going to be gaming. Sure, under good conditions it will be fine, but a hard-line better guarantees that you won't have interference in your line.
    Adam TT
  9. No Profile Picture

Hey,

Thanks, We have one pc and one laptop hard wired, those are the only two ports there are. I could run a phone line though the house and put a shelf up in the hall for the router so that you can get a signal though out the house. I can't really run 15ft of cat5 cable round the house :/ that would be expencive anyways. I would have like to becase I don't like wireless for gaming its really not reliable.

My hall way is coverd in doors i dont really have a safe space for a router but that is a suggestion. I wonderd if anyone had expearance of using those internet adapters and boosters? I don't imagin them to be that effective. I make it sound like i have a big house lol I don't i just have a big hall and its all on one floor so theirs no stairs.
    Thanks again for your help.
  11. Automagically Delicious

I'll just say this, running 15 ft of ethernet cable will be WAY cheaper than buying a repeater/booster.
    Adam TT
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by AdamPI
    I'll just say this, running 15 ft of ethernet cable will be WAY cheaper than buying a repeater/booster.
    True will cost about 5 to buy on Ebay, including postage. I guess that might be the way to go and just get someone else to unplug while I'm using it or see if sky will provide us with a router with more ports.
    thanks again.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Wired is a lot faster than wireless too.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Doug G
    Wired is a lot faster than wireless too.
    Yeah thats one of the reasons everyone else in the house has theirs wired, the only things wireless are the ps3 the wii and the 630, plus my laptop and one of my flatmates has a laptop thats wireless.
    thanks
  19. Automagically Delicious

One point I know most people forget about when they say that wired is faster:

While that statement IS true; you have to look at the bigger picture. If your wireless connection is running at say 24 Mbps and your Cable or DSL connection is say 16 Mbps, you aren't losing anything. You're only as fast as your slowest connection. Internal to the house though, now that's a different story.
    Adam TT

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo