1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Small Network Help, not sure how I can narrow it down.

At seemingly random times, our internet connection goes out.

Most times we notice it when gaming. It's odd because the incoming data, (other character's movements, other people on skype) can be seen/heard for about 30 seconds to a minute before the connection drops completely. A power cycle of the modem seems to do the trick, until it happens again, usually some hours later. Sometimes, however it can be as frequent as 5 minutes between connection drops.

At that point I thought it was my ISP. After repeated calls with them, they assured me that it wasn't a problem with our connection, and that it may be the router. The router we were using was quite old, so I went and bought a new one.

After hooking up the Linksys/Cisco E1200, the problem persisted. Reflashed the firmware, reset the modem via the button on the back (as per instructions). Still, it persists. When I hooked up the connection directly to a PC, there were no problems.

Router: Linksys/Cisco E1200 Wireless N
    Modem: ARRIS WBM760A

I am by no means a networking guru, google brought me here.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  3. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Have you asked the ISP to replace the modem? They may insist it's not the connection, but now that you've replaced the router that generally rules that out. Tell them what you've done and ask for a new modem.
    Adam TT
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

if the isp doesnt see a fault, then it's either the modem or the filter on the phone jack. i'd start with the filter..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo