1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Network help Not enough slots for devices

Hello, Im in dire need of help and googling doesnt seem to be helping in this matter so I thought I could get some information about my problem from experienced users such as you who may read this.

So my problem is that in my home network there is not enough ethernet ports on the router to cover more devices. I have drawn a picture in MS paint to show you how it looks like below. I cannot post the image here though so here is a link: http:**imageshack.us*photo*my-images*406*stuffzw.jpg* just replace the *'s with /.

I have 1 switch and 1 extra router (total 2) from a former ISP (not sure if isp locked but I think so since wirless did not work but wired did work).

Alright so I have already tried: Internet -> router -> wall socket -> router -> devices . I have also tried: Internet ->router -> wall socket -> switch -> devices. Also: Internet -> router -> switch (sharing 2 ports) -> wall socket -> router -> devices. Either the PC gets internet and xbox does not or both of them doesnt get anything. It is worth mentioning that the xbox has wireless capabilities even though I prefer wired network im ok with wirless if both of them works.

I have no clue what im doing wrong here, perhaps you could tell me if the wiring is wrong, you need "this here". I will give information if it is required.

Thank you for your help.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You shouldn't use your second router in the network. Set up your router so that it has internet access, then plug your switch into the router. All of the ports on the switch should have internet access.

Assuming your wall socket is nothing more than an extension cable it doesn't matter where you have it.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks, I only tried with the switch now and I tried a direct connection with all the cables and it seems that one Ethernet cable was not working so I replaced that one. After that I tried Internet -> Router -> Switch -> Wall Socket -> Devices instead of Internet -> Router -> Wall Socket -> Switch -> Devices and it works now. It did matter in what end of the wall socket the switch was placed.

So thanks for helping me in less than a day!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo