1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Network Novice Help ......

Howdy this is my first post here,
    I am a network novice, I have a desktop PC on an oil rig this is set up for internet access.
    Most pc's are configured here not to have internet access but being a senior engineer I have this on a desktop PC (Windows XP) in my office.
    I have added an airport express (bridge mode via a spare LAN port) to connect to the network, this was successful however joining the wifi via my mac or ipod i have the same access rights as any other pc / laptop on the rig but can access network drives.
    Is there a way to configure my mac to connect to my "personal" network and have internet access to get emails etc.
    The techy is onshore for a few months so I am at a loss (hammer and spanners no good for this job).
    I believe they use a static IP adress (possibly )
    to allow my desktop internet and email access.

Could I perhaps put my airport between my desktop and LAN port and configure it that way...... i have no idea

Hope you can help

BR
    Worm
    (Somwhere i the middle east)
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Short answer, probably not. Long answer, they're most likely using a firewall rule that is specific to your PC to allow web traffic. Without access to the firewall to adjust the rules you won't be able to allow the other devices out to the net. Can't be looking at "those" websites on an oil rig I guess.

Of course this is all just a guess, but seems the most likely scenario.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

well thanks for the useful information.....

I can see that you have worked on an oil rig yourself and understand the necessity to quickly send photoghraphs of repairs or pictures of parts and issues shoreside.

I am not interested in "websites" but thanks for your input.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo