1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Network Problems Win2000 & XP

Have a wifi network set up with 2 desktops with win2000 running and sharing internet printers etc. Added a new laptop yesterday
    that came with XP. Internet sharing works fine but I can't get into printer or file sharing.

When I click on my networks with my laptop it shows my other desktops in the workgroup but does not let me access them. When I click on one of the desktops it asks me for a password to that machine even though I don't have a password set.

Tried running the network setup wizard on the lap top and got to the point where it wants you to run the network disk on other machines in the network. When I put the XP disk into the win2000 desktops it says that it does not support that operating system.

Please help I need to at least be able to access the shared printer with my xp laptop.

Thanks
  3. Contributing User

There must be a password, or at least a user name. This is a very simple problem to fix. Take the new (XP) logon credentials (IE User and password) and create an account with thouse credentials on the windows 2000 machine. This will allow you to access the machine without having to put in a username and password on the XP box.

Hope this helps.

Also.. NEVER NEVER NEVER use the wizard for networking. Its far too easy to have that POS mess it up for you. That may be part of your problem as well.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the reply. I definately do not have any user name or password setup on the desktops or the laptop.

Again, from the laptop when I check to see which computers are in my network it shows both desktops and the laptop. But when I click on one of the desktops it asks me for a user name and password. I'm sure thats the reason I can't access my shared printer and files.

I can access the shared files of the laptop from any of the desktops and I can access desktop to desktop all without any username or password prompts.

I know this all has to do with XP not wanting to place nice with win2000

Any other suggestions.

Thanks
  7. Contributing User

Originally posted by smiggy
    I definately do not have any user name or password setup on the desktops or the laptop.
    This is untrue. In all windows environments, you are running your services as a user. Be it Guest, Administrator, or Userxxx.

It is prompting you for credentials becasue you cannot supply them from your 2000 machine without matching them from the XP machine.

All of your information could be hidden or saved in network password information.

Do this... Create and account on both machines (go under control panel and add a new user)

make the username test and password 12345 Also make sure the account is an administrator on both machines. Then reboot both and see if you can use this account to access your shares.

Once again when it asks you for your info, use the account you made. 99.9999999% of the time this will solve your problem unless its a firewall/network security software Issue (some firewalls wont allow networking however this sounds like simple logon stuff)

Good Luck.

Feel free to post the results.
  9. No Profile Picture

That got it. Thanks a lot!!!
  11. Contributing User

Your welcome Happy to Help.
  13. No Profile Picture

I spoke to soon. I can now access the desktop from the lap top if I go into my network window and put in the user name and password. Is there a way to have access when I boot up instead of going to "my network places"-"View workgroup computers" then clicking on my desktop and then entering everything? I only get shared access if I go through all these steps. Once I get in I'm in, but I want to have auto access when I boot up just like I have on my other desktops.
    The other question is can I set it up without any user names or passwords required? I don't need any for my two desktops and I would really like to have it that way with the laptop.
    Thanks again
  15. Junior Member

to map your printer, and therefore install it on the laptop, do as follows:

make sure your printer is shared and everyone has access on it.

on the laptop, clic start, the run

type in \\servername (where "servername" is the netbios name of your win2k ws wher the printer is phisically attached)
    now you'll see all the shared resources on that pc.

double clickin' on the printer icon will install the printer and necessary drivers on your laptop.
  17. No Profile Picture

Even if you don't set a user name or password on the XP PC it still has one. I forget the default name it uses, but if you do a log off and choose swich user or log off you will get one choice to use to get back in. That is the account name you need to create on the windows 2K PC.
    Hope that helps.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo