1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Networking help please

Hi ladies and gentlemen i hope everyone is well

Ok I am trying to help out my local community centre who has lost there IT Manager and now have no one to manage there services at present. Due to lack of funding i highly doubt they will have another one sometime soon..

Whilst being at the Centre for use of the internet service i noticed a very bad inconsistent internet connectivity.

So i spoke to the manager and decided to explore the problem for them as i am very well known to them ..

Below is how they have there network setup at present.

10mb Virgin Cable (cisco Modem)

This goes to a

TP Link Wireless router with the wireless function disabled (this is being used for dhcp)

This then links into

2x switchs (2 links per switch is this good or bad?) HP Procurve 2524 x2

switchs to the port fronts to the stations using blackbox category 5e x2

However in the building they do have a Dell quad core server which currently is being used as a station machine and not a server.

I think the inconsistency is because of the tp link router is handling the dhcp and as there is about 50 machines in the building i expect this just cant handle the load.

When checking the router settings all settings seemed to be configured correctly and the router is also mac-ip binding all there static machines so no ip confliction in anyway.

Can any one advise me of what is best for me to do for them to get a stable internet connection. They say they dont need the perks of the server etc so if not needed they would like to keep it a server less network.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks and Kind Regards
    Phil
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

(2 links per switch is this good or bad?)
    Are you saying you have two cables running from the router to each switch? If so that's not right, but also probably not part of your problem.

I think the inconsistency is because of the tp link router is handling the dhcp and as there is about 50 machines in the building i expect this just cant handle the load.
    If this is a consumer-grade or small office grade router then it wouldn't surprise me at all if it wasn't powerful enough to handle 50 machines. However, it wouldn't be the DHCP that would concern me, it would just be the normal traffic (which would dwarf all traffic related to DHCP by orders upon orders of magnitude).

It's also possible that the 50 machines are simply generating more than 10mb/s of traffic and maxing out your connection. I have no idea how your machines are used, but even something like streaming three or four HD videos off Youtube at the same time would max out a 10mbit connection easily.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

hi,

yes currently 2 links from each switch to the router. should this be only 1?

when I'm back there on Monday I shall do a little research about this router.

if I'm honest there are never 50 machines online at once, average I would say is 30 at one time.

all machines are running windows xp with an ip assigned to its mac. the stations are used mostly just for normal browsing and online courses, so nothing to intense.

I think this is the router this is the dhcp and has all macs binding to I.p.

uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?categoryid=238&model=TL-WR841N#spec

many thanks
    Phil
  7. No Profile Picture

is there any unit you can advise to swoop out the router with.. the replacement does not need to have a wireless function. I could use the wireless router to provide wireless via a switch could I not?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo