1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Networking Linux and Windows problem

Hi guys!

I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this question, but I know someone here can help me because you are all SMARTIES!

I am trying to network my linux redhat 8.0 web server to my WindowsME development computer. I have the network set up but I am not sure how to make them "see" one another.

This is what I have done:

I assigned an IP to my linux machine (10.100.1.2) and a netmask (???) (255.255.255.0)
    I connected the linux machine to the hub.
    I have a cable modem internet connection, so I have the cable modem going IN to the hub and it is being distributed to the WindowsME machine via the hub. (I do not need to provide internet connectivity to the linux machine, it is only a development server)

The WindowsME machine is set to automatically detect it's IP address because of the cable internet connection. (My ISP set it up, I am not sure how all that works)

Does the WindowsME machine need to have a permanent IP address for my network to work? How can I make the WinME machine "see" the linux server.

All I need is the ability to SSH the linux server from the WinME computer and I will be happy...

Can someone help me?

David
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You sound like you have a mess there...

Chances are, that'll never work. Your Windows ME computer is probably being assigned a public IP address from your ISP so you essentially have two computers connected to a hub that are on different subnets so they won't be able to 'talk TCP/IP'. You have two choices that I can see.

1) Buy a cheap cable/DSL router to run the cable modem into and run a cable from the router to the hub and you can have all computers connect to the hub and have access to the Internet. You can get a decent router for about $70 these days. That way, you'll even add a little security to your WIndows ME computer because it won't be visible to the Internet, only the rotuer will be.

2) Buy another network card and put it in the Windows ME computer. Connect the Linux and Windows ME computers with a cross-over cable and set the second network card's TCP/IP settings to be on the same subnet as the Linux box's. They'll be able to see and talk to each other that way.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Engineering-telecom-member

dear friend once u have the two station having the same network id ,the first one 10.12.3.? and 10.12.3.? than try to download a software called putty .run it and choose from it the ssh option.so u will have a remote shell login .put the user name and password . Bonne Chance

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo