1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Networking Project assignment help?

hi guys, i have a project on networking for (travel agency) and need help on what things would i need to make the network

details: 1 city as the agency started so it would open morethan one in the beginning,
    5 pc and 1 for the manager, in each city
    the office is not big and not small so is about medium room.

so i need to know how many servers, what wires should be used, else please help. Thanks in advance.

Comments on this post

• AdamPI agrees : For being honest about the homework (and welcome to the 'Shed).
  3. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

There has to be more to the problem. To what end do you need these servers for? Is there a central data center? Or will one need to be created? What services are needed?

BTW, thanks for coming right out and stating that it's an assignment for a class.
    Adam TT
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by AdamPI
    There has to be more to the problem. To what end do you need these servers for? Is there a central data center? Or will one need to be created? What services are needed?

BTW, thanks for coming right out and stating that it's an assignment for a class.
    i'll need one server and what do i need to connect them together as i have to talk in 50 pages.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Im sure Adam can elaborate a little further, but with 1 server and 6 PCs in one room, you can typically connect them together via cat6 cables all connecting to a central switch. The server can handle certain networking services such as dns resolution, dhcp services, etc.
    If I remember my networking class correctly this configuration is known as a star topology.
  9. Automagically Delicious

Technically yes, it would be a star topology; however, you don't normally see a "topology" term when we're talking about a single room/small building. It's kind of like describing your home network in that manner.

This is what I'm failing to understand. You say that you will need a server and a half-dozen client machines; but you mention something along the lines of a "city as the agency started so it would open morethan one in the beginning." What does that mean exactly? That's the key part of this project I think. Are you trying to plan for expansion? What assumptions can be made about those expansions? etc. That's the reason I feel there's something missing from your project description. What seack just described was done in about 4 sentences. You might be able to long-wind that to 2 pages, but not 50. Not even with many pictures. So what else is going on here?
    Adam TT

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo