Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Why im confused

From another form (Located at dslreports.com):

JSmith writes:
    I don't really know what "Router" actually means.

I have DSL, the Cisco 678 goes into the wall & into the hub (with the yellow crossover cable). It goes in the first port of the hub, and I have a switch (on the hub) for the first port - normal, or uplink. It's on uplink.

Then my other computers go into the hub - with normal network cable. Works great with both Linux and Windows. All online at the same time.

Setting up the modem when I got DSL was a pain. At first, my ISP was Qwest.net with Qwest DSL - should have been simple, but they decided to charge me for "Small Business" because I was networking . When I switched ISPs after the first month, I had to go thru some convoluted stuff making the 678 work with my new ISP. They called it a router. *shrug*
  3. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

even though they call it a "Router" I still have to get a broadband router as well?
    No, not at all. What I'm saying is that you don't need anything with the advanced capability of a true router. One of those basic "netpliances" will do just fine, such as the Linksys Cable/DSL router, which I believe you can get for under $80. I also just searched Cisco.com and realized that the Cisco 678 is just another one of those (but, knowing Cisco, it probably costs a lot more).

The Linksys one I mention above can handle up to 253 distinct computers inside its firewall. This is because it is set up to handle one complete class C network block (255 addresses), minus its own IP, and the IP of the DSL modem. With my home-built FreeBSD solution, I am free to support many more IP addresses than that, of course (I'm going to need a bigger house :0).

So, it goes in this order:

1. DSL modem
    2. Router/gateway/firewall/netpliance
    3. Network hub or switch
    4. other computers or additional hubs

I believe Linksys even has an appliance that combines the first two into one, also.
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Okay all im trying to do is setup a newbie network here..nothing fancy. Now you said I don't need a Broadband Router..But do need a Linksys crapolot? Thats what I meant by Broadband Router..If i am using the wrong word tell me.
    THE QUESTION:
    SINCE THE CISCO 678 is described as a "ROUTER" do I still need a Linksis/D-Link/Netgear Router or just skip to the Hub/Switch?
    Ye? Ne?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

OK: big difference between the terms "Router" and "Broadband Router". A Router is the thing you don't need; a Broadband router is the thing you do need. So the little Linksys dealybob would be just fine.

To reiterate: Item #2 in the list from my previous post can be covered just fine by the Linksys Cable/DSL router (which is a "broadband router"). Don't need anything more advanced than that.

It's understandable the confusion between the terms. At a certain level they do some of the same things, but I think the best way to describe these appliances should be "broadband gateway". But apparently business/marketing types think differently. Hope this clears it up.

Enjoy .
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for all your help!

Thanks!
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo