1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Offline networking to play multiplayer

Hi there, this question might seem dumb but here we go.

We are going camping with many family members, and are planning a huge civilization game at 5 during that time (12 days) for rainy days.

There's no internet, we have no routers..., can we just bring a switch or hub and connect us all to it and network ourselves?

Can we just connect with ethernet cables to the hub/switch, get IP addresses and play?

Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Yeah that should work. By default Windows (assuming you're using Windows) will assign the PCs IP addresses in the range of 169.x.x.x.(can't remember what the 2nd octet is) when no DHCP server can be contacted. They should all be on the same subnet at that point and can talk to each other.

If by some chance that doesn't work, just assign them static IPs and it should work fine as well. Really though a switch just uses layer 2 addressing (MAC IDs) to communicate so you should be good to go either way. Have fun! This is how we used to do it "back in the day".
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks a lot, will try this.

I also discovered that I had an engenius access point EAP350 that can be a repeater. This could work too I imagine.

IMN logo majestic logo spyfu logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo