1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exclamation Group Policys or Novel HELP!!!

hey!
    i need help setting up Group Policys or Novell. If any one can help me, iam a complete newbie to all this stuff but this is how it should work:

one server (windows 2000 server) that has all the Username and password and GP's and then 5 other computers, same Workgroup or domain name, and when a user wants to use a computer, they use anyone of theos, and they have the same resitrctions on all the computers as set my admin from the server and GP.

Hope this makes sence to some one... lol. cause i have no idea... i actaully volanteer at a non-profit youth organization, and they asked me to get information and set it up, but all the tutorials and site i been to seem to be talking in a whole diffrent laungage... lol

so if any one can please help me out that would be great full.
    you are more then welcome to AIM, MSN, or YIM me anytime
    AIM: mikepatel2002
    YIM: mitulpatel2003
    MSN: mitulpatel2000@hotmail.c o m

Thank you!
  3. No Profile Picture
    network dude
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Not really sure what you are asking here why are you mentioning Novell?

Ok here it is in a windows environment setup a domain and add the PCs to the domain and add the domain users group to to workstation policy you want. now enyone in the domain can log on to any workstation without it having local users setup on each.

In a Novell environment you would use a product called zenworks (ZFD) and enable dynamic local user. How this works is cool ... the user logs into NDS and for what ever group you put them in it will create a new local workstation account (name same as NDS login with a generic password) in the local group you specified in nds when the user logs off the workstation it will delete the local user it created. This is great as Lopht cant get SAM files.
  5. No Profile Picture

Juniperr thanks for your reply, which one is easyer to use? i mentioned novell cause i dident know which one would be easyer

another thing is, the steps for Group Policys i need them to be a bit more detailed cause like i said i dont know junk about them, so i dont know even know how to create a domain and add users all that.
  7. No Profile Picture
    network dude

Do you have a Novell server or a microsoft server yet?
    ZENworks is my choise because it does PC remote control and PC imaging as well as PC inventory and workstation policies to lock down workstations you would actualy need a third party application such as altiris to compete with zenworks on a microsoft box. However, I am a MCNE and can roll it out very fast but if your new to networking in general I would set up a w2k server and a domain. ( novell doesnt have a wizard for every little task ). actually windows 2003 server even has a wizard to create shares.( In my point of veiw if you need a wizard to create shared drives then you shouldnt be touching the server to begin with. ) this is my opinion only I am actualy dual certified microsoft and novell and would use a novell server as my first choice for security reasons and well novell 6 and up you dont need a client to connect ie linux, unix, MAC, and windows PC's can use their native protocols and it ships with apache web server and i-manage rocks hehe.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

There is no instant or easy answer to your questions. No one is going to be able to tell you how to do group policies or login to netware in detail. Only the simplist overview is available with this media or detailed explaination on a single well defined point. Might want to get a good networking book and one on w2k which covers policies. Start simple and then move to more sophistication as you learn. Best of luck to you!
  11. No Profile Picture

juniperr, i have win2k server already on a machine, thats about it... lol... any advice from there, i can put win2k3 if its better, but once i put them on, then what, i dont mind using novell which everyone is good... lol let me know. thanks
  13. No Profile Picture
    network dude

If you have a w2k server already then stick with it. open the server wizard and create a dns server (must have a dns server internal for active directory) then create a domain using domain.com format as sp4 will frook it up if you use a single name. let me know when you get that far Ill tell ya how to setup the PCs

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo