1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Poor wireless signal on ASUS RT-AC66U

Hi there,

I'm testing my ASUS RT-AC66U for signal strength and I can't achieve speeds more than 72 Mbps, either on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz.

I'm monitoring it on my Samsung Galaxy S3.

It says it's supposed to work at 450Mbps : http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC66U/#specifications

I don't want to get those speeds, but at least not only 72Mbps.

I'm at about 10 feets from the router. There's no inteference signal (cordless phones, microwaves, etc.) between us, no walls, it's in straight line with me.

Here is my router config;

http://www.ftpservice.ca/router_config.PNG

Can someone give me some advice on this?

Thanks a lot!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I have some advice for you..... DON'T POST YOUR SSID and PSK on forums...unless you want your wireless hacked into.
    Blackout that info before posting a link to it.

as for wireless N speeds..that 450mbps is a theoretical speed, not an absolute. So many factors are involved in transfer speeds.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by DonR
    I have some advice for you..... DON'T POST YOUR SSID and PSK on forums...unless you want your wireless hacked into.
    Blackout that info before posting a link to it.

as for wireless N speeds..that 450mbps is a theoretical speed, not an absolute. So many factors are involved in transfer speeds.
    Thanks for the info, just changed my pic, but if you know how remote I am and thw town I live in, you won't be too bothered about being hacked..., at all.

As for the theoretical speed, I know but, we get from 450mbps to below 100mbps, that's normal?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by ExportA
    Thanks for the info, just changed my pic, but if you know how remote I am and thw town I live in, you won't be too bothered about being hacked..., at all.
    Thats good to know

Originally Posted by ExportA
    As for the theoretical speed, I know but, we get from 450mbps to below 100mbps, that's normal?
    If you have ANYTHING thats connected [wired/wireless] at ethernet speed [100mbps], not gigabit [1000mbps], then, you will automatically be limited to 100mbps or less [less meaning about 80% of that 100 mbps] because of network/packet overhead and system usage.
    So, you can expect about 10MBps [MegaBytes per second] maximum. (100mbps/8bits * 80% = 10MB/s [or 80mbps]).
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I don't really mind for the internet speed, my speed limit us actually 8MBps only. What matters me the most is my internal speed. I have several machines connected.

I have my router, which is a Gigabit router, connected to it via the LAN ports I have;

1 - 1 Gigabit switch
    1.1 My workstation (Gigabit)
    1.2 VoIP Phone (100mbps)
    1.3 100mbps switch
    1.3.1 My workstation 2 (100mbps)
    1.3.2 Multimedia player (100mbps)
    2 - 1 Gigabit NAS (NOTHING AFTER)
    3 - 1 PVR, only 100mbps (NOTHING AFTER)
    4 - Unused

And after that, I have several devices such my son PS3, my other son XBOX 360 (yes, there's a was inside on which one is the best console, not to mention that my girl prefer the Wii), my tablet, the smartphones, my laptop, the wireless printer, etc.

So, I'm fine with what's wired, if I transfer data from my workstation 2 to my NAS, I get Gigabit speeds, that's cool (well, I get what's the best speed my NAS (3 x 3Tb in RAID) and my workstation secondary HD (WD Black 500Gb) can give me). So I'm ok with that.

My issue is with wireless devices. My smartphone keeps saying I'm ay 72Mbps (2.4Ghz network) and 54 Mbps (5Ghz network), and my laptop doesn't goes beyond 72 too.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok, I think I've found something!

I changed the channel bandwidth to only 40 Mhz instead of 20 Mhz or mixed mode. The other thing I did was to change the position of the router antennas, I simply moved them around and checked the signal strength on inSSIDer and hooked the best position.

Those changes made me get speeds at 300 Mbps on my laptop, mainly 243, but sometimes I see it at 300 Mbps when I'm near. That's on the 2,4Ghz network. My laptop does not have a 5 Ghz network adapter.

As my smartphone now, I'm still stuck at 72 under the 2,4Ghz network but I do get 150 under the 5Ghz..., when I'm near. When midrange, I get 100, 120 Mbps.

Thanks a lot for your help, I'm satisfied with those numbers.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo