1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What is preventing me from Port Forwarding?

Hi, I need to work out what is preventing me from Port Forwarding. Other than my lack of knowledge, which is a given!

I have a Virgin Superhub, set up as modem only, with a Belkin F5D8236-4_WW_3.00.02 router.

I am not an expert in these regards but have some knowledge, I know how to port forward and have done so successfully in the past. I am not looking for a lesson in how to access my router etc.

Recently though, I am unable to port forward at all, I go through the procedure as per usual and they’re never open when I check them with any port checker.

I am attempting to port forward through the router not the Superhub, though I have tried using my Superhub as a router and still had no luck.

Searching online I found people forwarding ports through their Utorrent client. This doesn’t work for me either.

I have tried disabling all firewalls (Windows, Router and Anti-Virus) etc. and still no luck. I have tried adding exceptions for individual ports in my Anti-virus software and still nothing.

The frustrating part is that it used to work fine, and I do not know what has changed.

Please help.
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Is the external address of your router x.x.211.30? I assume it does say that it has the port(s) forwarded? By the way, what port?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    Is the external address of your router x.x.211.30? I assume it does say that it has the port(s) forwarded? By the way, what port?
    Yeah it ends 211.30. My router successfully completes the port forwarding process if that is what you mean? but when I try to check the port, using canyouseeme.org or any other port checking website/tool, they all say closed or timed out. The port I am trying to open is 180, but no matter what port range I enter I get no success.
  7. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It's possible your ISP is blocking it.

So your router says the port is forwarded? What if you change your machine (wherever the port is forwarded to) 's firewall so that it actively blocks ports instead of just dropping the traffic? For example, with Windows' Firewall you do this in the registry (and restart).
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I would try to open a DMZ to the server. That way if the port is still closed its most likely the service that is not listening on that port.

I would,

Disable the firewall on the host and setup a DMZ to that host then check the port.

Change it back straight away after and enable firewall again.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo