1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Does a proxy make data vulnerable ?

If your internet connection is going through a proxy, does that mean that the proxy administrator can monitor your data ie emails, passwords, sites visited etc ?
    I have a UK proxy account set up by a private(ish) person for the purpose of getting access to UK content while I'm out of the country, but I'm afraid of my data being intercepted.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If your internet connection is going through a proxy, does that mean that the proxy administrator can monitor your data ie emails, passwords, sites visited etc ?
    Yes, if you're not using some sort of end to end encryption like https.

Comments on this post

• AdamPI agrees : Short and simple answer. Accurate, too.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Yes your are vulnerable, any proxy you are moving traffic through can be intercepted by the the owner of the proxy.

Even with SSL, the administrator can use SSLstrip to man in the middle the secure connection. You will get an error about the authenticity of the website's certificate you are connecting to, but most people would confirm the security exception regardless.

Perhaps you could setup a proxy on a VPS for yourself,

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo