1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question about router's MAC address

I'm running a four-PC network. What I'm trying to do is write an application that will have each PC report a different MAC address for that router. I noticed when MAC cloning that the command line and various network tools still show the real MAC, and I'd like my application to also hide the router's MAC address from programs that contain their own information-gathering algorithms.

Is there a way to conceal the router's MAC address at the PC level? I'm sure there must be, but I've been googling for 12 hours and I haven't even found anyone else who has asked this question.

I couldn't find any programs that do this, so I'm wondering if it's even possible without altering the programs I want to hide from. Any enlightenment on the subject is much appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You would probably have to write a new driver for your network adapter in order to accomplish that. The driver would be capable of rewriting the router's MAC address on the fly for incoming and outgoing packets.

Above the driver is the operating system's communication stack. If you're running Linux or some other open source operating system you could potentially make changes there to do this. If you're running Windows there is virtually no possibility of doing it above the driver level.

It's hard to imagine that this would be worth the effort it would take.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You can not use it in an application level perhaps, but you cannot hide it from the system. It's necessary to have to allow the different PC's to talk over layer 2 protocols. Keep in mind that the "router" isn't just a router, it's also a switch, firewall, dns server, etc. That is assuming you have a SOHO router like a linksys or d-link or the like.
    Adam TT

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo