1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Re-establishing AP

I have a network running on windows 2008 server. All clients are on Win7. There are two wireless routers with one configured as an access point for guest usage that only allowed them to get to the internet, not on our network.
    The password stopped working for the AP so a reset was conducted.
    My AP is now open to the world with no password and I cannot figure out how to set it back up as an access point that requires a password and only allows access to the internet not my network. The other wireless router is still working and requiring a password. When searching for a network you will see both, one that is secured and the other now just CISCOxxxx unsecured. How do I reset this AP back up. Thanks
  3. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Let's start with what you ARE able to do. Can you log into it OK? Can you set up the SSID OK? Or are you just stuck at logging into it?
    Adam TT
  5. No Profile Picture

Status

Originally Posted by AdamPI
    Let's start with what you ARE able to do. Can you log into it OK? Can you set up the SSID OK? Or are you just stuck at logging into it?
    I can use the Access point with no problem. It is wide open, I really don't think it is an access point anymore since it was reset. The current SSID is the name CISCO (Due to the Reset) the previous SSID was Hall-Guest When I log into the default GWY I am now in the Secure Wireless Router in another part of the building. I do not see or can find this wireless router or AP on the network to change the SSID or make secure. When I use a Network Analyzer (Sniffer) it does not find it so I can't even get an IP address. I guess my issue is that I need to re-add this as an Access point into my network.
  7. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I understood that. Have you logged into the device itself (not just connected to it's wireless?) Maybe reset it again to defaults, plug into its LAN port and connect to it via web browser by going here: (http://192.168.1.1). From there you can make all the configuration changes necessary.
    Adam TT
  9. No Profile Picture

I think I see what you are saying. I will plug it into another jack. Maybe its not being seen because it is behind the other router. and when I reset it, it lost the IP address associating it with the main wireless router. Now I think I am getting it. Once in to the router setup I should be able to assign an IP address as part of the same subnet mask as the other router? Sorry for the tooth pulling experience, but my networking is limited and throwing an access point into the mix is a bit more complex than what I am use too.
    Thank you.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo