1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Remote Access to my Computer

Hi,

I have a Laptop with WINDOWS SERVER 2008 R2 installed with broadband internet connection with dynamic IP Address. I want to access my Laptop from another system using MSTSC Remote Connection. Can I be able to do that?

I don't want to use any softwares. I don't want to use any third party site also. Can you please help me on this. I just want to use MSTSC Remote Connection.

Thanks,
    Sandeep Kumar.
  3. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Yes. You can.
    Adam TT
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks AdamPI. Can i know how...?
  7. No Profile Picture

Does anybody know how to access remotely without using thirdparty site or software...
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

since you have a dynamic IP, you need to sign up to one of the free dynamic DNS places [no-ip.com, dyndns.com] to get yourself a domain from them to use and install their dynamic DNS client that can monitor whenever your IP changes and will update that info for the domain you use.

after that, it 'should' be a matter of using that domain along with the normal 3389 port to access that laptop.

I never have used the RDP in windows , so, my info may not be 100% accurate.
    Maybe somebody else that has actually used the RDP in Windows can chime in and say "yea" or "nay" to my vague instructions.

Of course, you will also need to have any ports that RDP uses to be forwarded thru any router/firewall that you may have.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Don is correct. You will need to allow Remote Desktop connections into the Windows computer (quick Google search will show you how to do this), and then you will need to forward port 3389 from your firewall/router to the Windows box's internal IP address (i.e., 192.168.x.x).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo