1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Remote config device on network

I have NetGear broadband router into which phone line connects, then a WiFi router attached via Ethernet, this works fine.
    I can remotely log into ntgear configuration page via the internet from anywhere without any problems by entering its ip address into url field of any browser.
    I would also like to remotely access the configuration page within the WiFi router. I know the ip address of the WiFi router, how do I get access to it?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You would either need to set up a VPN of some sorts or configure your router to port forward port 80 to the WiFi router. This second option may not be feasible though if your Netgear router is already using port 80.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Ok I'm with you this far! I logged into the NetGear config page, it says it's using port 80 and that it can be changed. I know the WiFi router is using port 80 also. So, if I reconfig the NetGear router port to say 85, to remotely access it again do I enter its ip as say 108.45.167.77:85 into a browser? If that's correct, how can I then open the config page in the WiFi router? I know it's lan ip , do I somehow tack that onto the url of the NetGear router? Port forwarding, I've heard of. The netgear router doesn't mention that in the config pages, could it be using another terminology?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The first step is to reconfigure the Netgear router to use a different port.

The next step is to configure the Netgear router so that it forwards port 80 to the internal IP of your WiFi router.

Then you visit 108.45.167.77:80 and hopefully will see your WiFi router.

Port forwarding is the standard name for it, but occasionally routers will call it something different; I'm not sure what it could be in your case though. Virtually all routers support it though, it would be pretty unusual if yours didn't.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. No Profile Picture

I'll research the NetGear port forwarding see where that takes me. I'm constantly mobile for work so doing this all on my phone.
    Shame not possible to buy someone a beer on here, appreciate your help.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo