1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Cannot find the router settings page

I cannot access my Belkin Router's web interface page. When I do ipconfig /all, it shows the modem as the default gateway (192
    .168.1.1), and not the router, which used to be 192.168.2.1. Also, my private IPs are in the higher end, such as : 192.168.1.144, 192.168.1.147. How do I make the Belkin as the default gateway, and be able to access the settings page by typing its IP? The ISP is verizon, and the router is :Wireless G F5D7230 -4; Westell Modem. I would really appreciate someone's suggestion on this.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Disconnect the belkin from the modem.
    Reboot the pc
    what ip address/gateway do you get now?
    IE into that gateway.

Sounds like the router was set to bridge not route [no nat]. Follow the manual for the router in setting it up.
  5. No Profile Picture

I will try and let you know that.
    Thanks
  7. No Profile Picture

I disconnected modem from the router, did reboot; and here's what I got on my two XP PCs:

Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.173.69
    Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.158.184

Default Gateway was blank

I reconnected the modem, and did ipconfig /renew. The same IPs appeared: 192.168.1.46
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    Connection-specific DNS suffix : X.westell.com

----
    Once again, just like you said, router is performing as a bridge/hub, and also providing the wireless service, but there is no interface I could change the security settings and other firewall settings. I can access westell's page via 192.168.1.1 , and there are whole lot of configurations on it, but they seem to be very much different from what a router usually has. Also, I went through the Belkins' documentation... but could not find any troubleshooting technique to deal with a situation like this.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

disconnect the modem
    set one pc from autoassigned to a static ip of 192.168.1.2 with a gateway of .1

Now IE into the belkin. Your pc has to be in the same subnet as the belkin.

Question now is who set this up? My concern is that this is a custom job from your ISP and messing with it will get you into problems.
  11. No Profile Picture

Here's what happened:
    I had to disconnect the phone line from the modem for a minute, because I had to split it with a phone. When I joined it, the modem did not let me get online for some reason. I checked all connections, and everything seemed fine, but I was still not being able to go online. I ran ipconfig, the router was recongnized, but the modem wasn't, coz' it wouldn't ping the outside addresses. Anyways, I reset the modem as a last resort. After that, when I rebooted the PC, it prompted me to verizon's site, where I could activate and do the settings of my account; which means it probably lost its previous settings. Now, after all that was done, I could get online, but the router got supressed. I don't think the ISP did anything.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Clearly something changed when you had to reset the modem.
    This router was working before this change right?
    Did you note what ip address your workstation were getting before you cleared the modem?
    Did you setup the router?

"when I rebooted the PC, it prompted me to verizon's site, where I could activate and do the settings of my account"

That sounds like your pc was DIRECTLY connected to the modem and not the router. If you had been connected to the router you should never have gotten the Verizon setup page since that information should have been handled by the wan interface of the router.

You should be cabled from modem to routers wan port. PC is connected to routers lan port.

Here is what I would suggest:
    Connect directly to the modem [make sure your XP firewall is enabled]
    Do a ipconfig /all
    Note the ip address, gateway, dns servers AND mac address [physical address]
    disconnect your pc from the modem
    connect it to the router but don't connect the router to the modem.
    In tcp/ip properties give your pc a static ip of 192.168.1.2 with gateway of .1
    IE into that ip address - you should be on the router
    Go to the wan interface config page
    Input what you wrote down from the ipconfig including putting in the mac address [physical address]
    Now go to the dhcp server page
    Enable dhcp in the scope of 192.168.0.2 to .6 [ip for 5pcs]
    with gateway of 192.168.0.1 [must have a different subnet than what the modem is providing or you can't route]
    Save the configuration.

Connect modem to router
    Connect pcs to router
    Reboot pcs and they should get a x.x.0.x ip
    Confirm by doing a ipconfig
    Next IE to google.com

Might want to post the answers to those questions before undertaking this. I would hate to think I am missing something and thereby leading you down the wrong path.

The above is pretty standard for setting up a router when the ISP is serializing the connection based on mac address [registered physical address of your computer].
  15. No Profile Picture

Are you sure you used the right type of splitter? You should use a duplicator if both sharing the same phone line .The duplicator I use has 4 pins on one side and 2 on the other.
  17. No Profile Picture

To answer your questions:

My router was accessible via 192.168.2.1
    The modem was 192.168.1.1

So, now -- when I follow your instructions, I think I should go with the static IP of 192.168.2.2 instead right? And I should change the other addresses' values accordingly as well, I believe. Just let me know before I go ahead and start with that.

Also, The modem has always been connected to the WAN port, and the PCs through the other ports of the router. I was being extra careful while connecting cables on the ports, so it's probably not the physical cabling issue.

About the verizon site, there's something that verizon does, and it did the first time I set up my router about three months ago as well: -- it displays a page with username and password fields, and asks the user to download some program or use their supplied CD to configure the service.. and it did twice so far I remember -- once while installing modem for the first time, out of the box; and while connecting the modem to the router, and making the router work. Things went smooth the first time.
    However, this time everything went fine, except at one point when the modem attempts to connect to the router to configure it, the error appears "cannot connect to the router". But the strange this is, router seems fine in the meantime.. and there's internet connection on every single computer connected through it. It even is sending the wireless signal, that also with the wireless network name which I had configured earlier (before things got messed up). Now the issue once again is.. everything's working fine, except that I am not being able to have control upon my router. Everything's under the modem.. !! I cannot make my wireless secured, I cannot do the port forwarding for my VNC,.. I cannot change other firewall settings through the router.

One last thing,.. the reason I splitted the phone was to use the AOL dialup service on the same PC for testing purposes. Now, do you think AOL is playing game here? Is its firewall capable of blocking the Router's functionalities?

About the splitter,.. I have used a regular splitter with two phone RJ11 ports. Does that do any harm?

Thank you both for your suggestions so far.
  19. No Profile Picture

If you have 2 phone numbers, no. If you only have 1 phone number, you need to use the duplicator,so the phone line can be shared.
  21. No Profile Picture

As a follow up, I just tried doing what you suggested:
    -connected the PC directly to westell
    -enabled XP SP2 firewall
    -ran the ipconfig /all; noted them down
    -connected to router, after disconnecting the modem from the router
    -changed the static ip to 192.168.2.2 (this is what used to be)
    -set the default gateway as 192.168.2.1 (again, this used to be the router's IP, and 192.168.1.1 is claimed by the modem; I am not sure what 192.1.0.X does)
    -NOW, as you said--- I should be able to see the router's page via 192.168.2.1 on the browser; but as I suspected, it did not take me there.
  23. No Profile Picture

Thank you hapahonu, but the phone line is not really doing anything wrong. I tested the AOL dialup and it worked all fine. And I only have one phone number. Do you still think this whole issue is because of not using a duplicator?
  25. No Profile Picture

I don't think that is the whole problem, what do you have plugged into the other side of the splitter?. I am still looking at your info, so see what else i can see.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo