1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

setting up PPTP VPN on a router that's behind another router and has no public IP

Hey everyone,

Hoping one of you lovely people can help me out with an issue.

At my office I have a TPLink TL-R600VPN router and I want to setup a PPTP VPN so people working outside the office can connect and access NAS devices on the network within the office.

We're in a co-working space that provides our internet for us, so the TPLink router we have is not connected directly to the ISP and therefore doesn't itself has a public IP address.

Instead, it's connected to a cable modem that the building provides. Fortunately, that modem is accessible - so if I needed to get in to do any portforwarding, that would be a possibility.

However, I know **nothing** about port forwarding and indeed if that would be something I would need to do.

I've setup the VPN on the router per TPLink's instructions, but it's not accessible and I'm sure it's because of the public IP issue.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on this?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Super Moderator
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Well, if you've successfully set this up on your router, this should be simple. You just need to do that same exact thing (Other than different model) with the companies modem/router. You defined your local computer's IP to the internal router, and you will define the internal router's IP to the external as the IP/Computer/Device you are passing that connection to.
    He who knows not that he knows not is a fool, ignore him. He who knows that he knows not is ignorant, teach him. He who knows not that he knows is asleep, awaken him. He who knows that he knows is a leader, follow him.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo