1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Setting up wireless network - help / sugesstions needed

Hi,

been reading up a lot on this subject, but am a bit confused so I need some expert guidance to some very newbie problems.

I currently have 4 computers that are not networked(cabled networking) and a printer in any manner. 1 of these computers is connected to the net via cable modem (Motorola SB4200 Surfboard cable modem) through a ethernet 10/100 card ( i preffered not use USB).

What I would like to do is to connect the other 3 computers to the computer which is currenlty online using wireless technology, so that the other 3 can get internet access as well as printer sharing and file sharing capabilites through a totally wireless solution.

I would like to know how to go about doing it as in the what equipment should be used? What I have understood from what I read was that I require:

1) 1 network acess point +router (4 port 10/100) connected to my cable modem.

2) 3 wireless network adapators for 3 computers. Will the printer too require a network adaptor? How will I connect my printer so that any of the 4 computers can print.

Would I require to use ethernet cabling to connect the router to my other three computers? I would like to avoid this in particular

I plan to use 802.11b standard euipment as my office is not large and all the computers are within 15-20 feet range (although there are walls in between).

Which company products are good I am looking at linksys or netgear for both the acces point+router and adaptors. Any suggestions to the models are welcome.

Would I require anything else apart form the above hardware? Is my reading of requirement to wirelessly connect my four computers to share internet, files and printer right?

Any guidance / help / suggestion / is most welcome.

apoorva
  3. No Profile Picture
    The Dude Abides
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

What you have here will work. I prefer Linksys

To allow your computers to access the internet, you need to specify the ip address of the router as their gateway. The router will then handle the connection, you don' t need to use the computer as the connection. Plug the modem into your router, it should have a wan port.

You won't need to hardwire the computers to the router. They would just go through the wireless connection to connect to the internet.

Computer ----->WAP--------->Cable modem-----WWW

As for your printer, you have some options. The simplest is to connect it to one of the computers and then share it on the network. Then you can print to it from any of your computers. The next option is a print server. It would make your printer another device on the network. The downside to this option is you have to spend some extra $$ to get the print server
    Last edited by thedude; November 3rd, 2003 at 01:39 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

thanks for the reply. Now lets order the bugger.

Do all these routers/access points work in 110v as well as 220v or since I am buying from the states I wil lget a 110v device which needs to be plugged into a transformer for a 220v current .

Thanks
    apoorva

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo