1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Shared Application Laggy

Hello,

This has been really bugging me for a few days now. My network is fine. I have a mapped drive on a file server which is accessible from a few workstations via permissions. I have pinged the server and have good pings. The shared application is using ADS and the firewall has the appropriate open ports. I can access the network drive no problem, but it seems the networked application is slow to read/write data while being relatively fast browsing the gui.

The application techs say that it is a network problem which it very well could be. I have tried everything I can think of. Turned off RDC, WMS and disabled autotuning to improve network rates.

Anyone have any suggestions at all?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'd go back to your application techs that are telling you it's a network problem. My guess is it's an application problem, or possibly some application configuration problem.

Of course this is all a blind guess, you didn't really include enough specifics about your application and network to make a more educated guess.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture

You want to isolate the issue, is it the app or is it the network. Try mapping the drive locally and running the app from there, does it go fast?

Is it the same speed on all the computers you test the application on?

Try running a speed test between the servers that you are test to see the bandwidth you get. There is some free software if you google around for it.

ADS is a NTFS implementation from Microsoft, are you writing large files? How are you measuring the speed of the I/O? It could be that it is working as fast as it can, it is just a poor performing protocol.
  7. No Profile Picture

I am certain that the application is having issues on the network side. It runs fine on the server. The application is used through our local intranet and outside via internet. Externally it is fast of course so I am pretty sure it is network side. I have just been using windows performance monitors to check the I/O. I am moving to a new location so I will hopefully find the resolution there. The app doesn't write large files. The internal speed test is fine with very low latency ~4ms. I have a feeling it might be the server drives. Thanks for your help guys
  9. No Profile Picture

Smile

Ok I had a newly wired cat5 office to go to as well as several new workstations to work with
    It seems that the shared application was due to latency from one of the workstations. I guess all the hair pulling had nothing to do from my end lol. Thanks for all the help though and happy networking!
  11. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Please tell me your "newly" wired Cat5 is actually at least Cat5e? I didn't read the whole thread, but keep in mind Cat5 will not work properly with 1 Gbps hardware.
    Adam TT
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by AdamPI
    Please tell me your "newly" wired Cat5 is actually at least Cat5e? I didn't read the whole thread, but keep in mind Cat5 will not work properly with 1 Gbps hardware.
    Ya it is Cat5e T568A wired. It was installed at the new office before I got there. Works great now

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo