1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

"Simple" network

I have two Pcs, each running Windows XP, SP3. They share a cable broadband connection to the internet. Connections are; from the cable modem to the Linksys wireless “G” router via Ethernet cable and then, on to both computers wirelessly, each computer having a usb adapter. The wireless network was set up to accommodate my TiVo and had no security but, as I added first one and then both computers, I turned on WPA2 Personal Security. So far, so good. Both computers connected to the web with no noticeable loss in speed and the TiVo connected to its service fine. However, after the first re-boot, the computer where TiVo Desktop is installed (call it “A”) failed to start the TiVo Server. Several cycles of “remove and re-install”, running “Desktop Cleaner”, re-registering VBScript and doing these steps after a “Clean Boot” failed to fix the issue. It remains to be resolved. I also want to share files and a printer between these two machines and a laptop (which has not yet been introduced). At this point, desktop “A” can access folders which I’ve designated on “B” to be shared but the reverse is not true. “B” can see the workgroup, Mshome and the printer connected to “A” (also set to be shared), but access is denied.

I’ve never dealt with a network before but I was confident I could set up a simple one. I was wrong! Can you help me clean up my mess please?

Ken
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I don't know about the Tivo but for file and printer sharing you need to adjust windows not your network. In windows both computers should be in the same workgroup and you need to adjust the windows firewall to allow file sharing. If you use some other firewall make the changes there.

You also need to identify what files, folders or devices can be shared. For example, to share a printer open the printer control panel, right click on the printer and choose sharing.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Doug G
    I don't know about the Tivo but for file and printer sharing you need to adjust windows not your network. In windows both computers should be in the same workgroup and you need to adjust the windows firewall to allow file sharing. If you use some other firewall make the changes there.

You also need to identify what files, folders or devices can be shared. For example, to share a printer open the printer control panel, right click on the printer and choose sharing.
    Hi Doug G,

Note that I said "At this point, desktop “A” can access folders which I’ve designated on “B” to be shared but the reverse is not true. “B” can see the workgroup, Mshome and the printer connected to “A” (also set to be shared), but access is denied. "

Both firewalls are set, the printer is set to share, both machines are members of the same work-group (Mshome) and I've set a folder or two on each machine to share. I WILL admit to getting myself confused by all the things I've tried to get this to work. Anything you can do to help me get straightened out will be appreciated greatly.

Ken
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

What version of XP? Are both computers at the same SP3 level? If you have XP Pro you can try fiddling with 'simple network sharing' settings.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  9. No Profile Picture

What version of XP? Are both computers at the same SP3 level? If you have XP Pro you can try fiddling with 'simple network sharing' settings.
    Hi Doug G,

"B" is XP Pro "A" is XP Home. Both are SP3.

"simple network sharing settings" ??? You have to take me by the scruff of the neck and shove me in the right direction. Everything I know, I've learned by just "fiddilin'". There's no one around to show me.

Ken
  11. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Simple Network Sharing is how microsoft got around not having ACL permissions in XP Home (ACL = Access Control List = What you see from the windows explorer Security tab on your XP Pro machine, assuming simple network sharing is off on the Pro machine).

To change the setting I usually open windows explorer - Tools - Folder Options - View.

I don't know if this will have any effect on your problem. As I recall Google turns up tons of hits about XP Pro to XP Home file sharing problems.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    --Alfred Bester
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Your best bet is to visit microsofts support site, there are step by step instructions for setting up a windows based workgtoup. If you have a third party firewall installed that can throw a wrench into your plans.
    Star with the steps on the microsoft support site and let us know.
  15. No Profile Picture

Enabled on the xp pro machine.
    Ken
  17. No Profile Picture

Simple Network Sharing is how microsoft got around not having ACL permissions in XP Home (ACL = Access Control List = What you see from the windows explorer Security tab on your XP Pro machine, assuming simple network sharing is off on the Pro machine).

To change the setting I usually open windows explorer - Tools - Folder Options - View.

I don't know if this will have any effect on your problem. As I recall Google turns up tons of hits about XP Pro to XP Home file sharing problems.
    Doug,
    Simple network sharing is turned on at the "Pro" machine. I just don't seem to have "permission to access the "Home" machine. I've spent a solid 7 - 8 hours on this problem today and I understand less than when I started.
    Ken
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

one way I've found to help get around this type of problem is to setup a "limited user acct" with same name/password on all machines. Then, enter this user/pass to access the folders on other pc.
    for some reason this helps get around the "you don't have permission" problem.
  21. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by DonR
    one way I've found to help get around this type of problem is to setup a "limited user acct" with same name/password on all machines. Then, enter this user/pass to access the folders on other pc.
    for some reason this helps get around the "you don't have permission" problem.
    Hi DonR,
    I'm not getting a "Sign In" opportunity. I did, at one point, set up an account with the same name and password on both machines with no luck. Also, remember that the "Home" machine can access files that are shared on the "Pro" machine but not the other way 'round.
    Ken
  23. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

I don't use xp home much, probably because of issues like yours. You might try using any sharing wizards available in XP, sometimes using a microsoft wizard does some under-the-hood magic that gets things working.

Also spend time on google looking for xp pro xp home network sharing problems. I seem to recall lots of hits last time I was researching some similar situation.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    --Alfred Bester
  25. No Profile Picture

Hi Doug,
    I put in another 4-5 hrs. today on this. There are 842,000 hits on that search term. My head buzzeth... It would be eaiser if I knew what the heck I was doing. I have changed so many settings following so many sets of "step-by-step" instructions I am lost in the Microsoft wilderness (with no GPS). If I ever get lucky and get sharing going both ways, I will have no idea how I did it.
    Ken
  27. No Profile Picture

I don't use xp home much, probably because of issues like yours. You might try using any sharing wizards available in XP, sometimes using a microsoft wizard does some under-the-hood magic that gets things working.

Also spend time on google looking for xp pro xp home network sharing problems. I seem to recall lots of hits last time I was researching some similar situation.
    I ran across this which seems to be on point.
    "Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer If you see this message the following should be done on the computer containing the shared files: Download the following and install it Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=4544 after installation is complete, click on: Start, All Programs, Windows Resource Kit Tools, Command Shell Then enter the following commands. (Attention: they are case sensitive.)

net user guest /active:yes
    ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
    ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

The first command enables network access for Guest, the two subsequent ones change two different policies to allow network access for Guest.
    "

The computer I cannot access is running WXP Home SP3. The download says:
    System requirements
    Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

30 MB of free disk space
    Windows XP
    Windows XP SP1
    Windows Server 2003 family
    Note: The Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools are not supported on 64-bit platforms.
    Would you try it?
    Ken

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo