1. No Profile Picture
    Coopercentral
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Slightly complex home network

Hi everyone,

I have seen many youtube videos about creating a home datacenter using multiple servers and switches. While this isn't terribly practical for a home environment, I have a plan I would like to attempt. I am going to see if it's feasible to install a couple ethernet ports in several rooms of my house. My goal is to have a few subnets. This is what I am planning:

192.168.1.0/24 - this will be for the main internet route, as well as all access points.

192.168.3.0/24 - this will be for all the desktop clients

192.168.5.0/24 - this will be for all servers and printers

192.168.10.0/24 - this will be for all DHCP clients

My question is, I am designing the network diagram, and it starts with internet, and then it goes to main router (192.168.1.1). My main question is, do I need a router FOR EVERY SINGLE subnet listed above? Or, could I have the one main router, and have one switch for 192.168.3.0/24, and one switch for 192.168.5.0/24? I know switches operate at layer 2 which is why I am asking this. I need all these subnets to be able to communicate with each other.

Again, this is not necessary, and I could easily incorporate all devices in one subnet, but I am doing this for personal experience.

I appreciate your help.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You need a router for each subnet.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Coopercentral

Thanks for the reply! Ok, so essentially I wouldn't even need a switch for this setup? I would have my main router, and then a router for each subnet, and that's it?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Coopercentral
    Thanks for the reply! Ok, so essentially I wouldn't even need a switch for this setup? I would have my main router, and then a router for each subnet, and that's it?
    Yes one router for the following subnets is fine, you will create static routes to all subnets on a single router. Remember routers operate at layer 3 so you will need switches for each subnet as you said because they are layer 2 devices. You can create VLANs on the switches which can be assigned to separate subnets, but this is a bit more involved!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo