1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Slow file transfers over LAN and WAN

I have a fairly new Sony Vaio SVT15115CSX ultrabook connected wirelessly to a Netgear R6300v2 router. Connected to that router via ethernet cable is a WD My Book Live network drive.

When I transfer files from my laptop to that network drive I get about 3.5 MB/s wireless and about 33 MB/s when hard wired.

I suspect that my laptop is the culprit here but I am not sure what I can tweak on it to see if I get any improvements. I am running Win8 btw.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What speed is the wifi connecting at? Wireless G or N and also what throughput does it say?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by remcom
    What speed is the wifi connecting at? Wireless G or N and also what throughput does it say?
    It's Wireless N , as mentioned the transfer rates are 3.5 MB/S wireless and 33 MB/S when connected via ethernet.

I am transfereing large video files which takes forever at these speeds.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

29mbit a second over wireless might be decent depending on your signal strength. I am assuming you meant MB/s and not mbit/s on your first post.

Depending on the Harddrive in your laptop you could be maxing out the I/O...

Do you have anything else running in the background? I assume the source is the same for both wired and wireless.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by remcom
    29mbit a second over wireless might be decent depending on your signal strength. I am assuming you meant MB/s and not mbit/s on your first post.

Depending on the Harddrive in your laptop you could be maxing out the I/O...

Do you have anything else running in the background? I assume the source is the same for both wired and wireless.
    Yes, it's MB/s.

I am not running anything else and the source and destinations are the same for both wired and wireless.

I have great signal strength, this is that slow even when I am 3 feet away from the router.

I talked to Netgear ad they don't think it's the router.

The hard drive is a fairly new SSD/HD hybrid that came with the laptop and should be plenty fast for this task.

The more I think about it the more I believe it's the wireless adapter. I googled all over the place and the only things I find are things to change in certain settings that my adapter doesn't have.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I would say test with a different device to make sure. Can you borrow a different laptop or even a different wireless adapter?

I would also check to see if dual band is enabled. I have seen wireless adapters have issues with the dual band options on newer routers where they have connection issues or even slow downs.
    Jonathan VanSchaack
    Managing Director
    Remly Communications - Total Web Solutions
    Web Hosting, Dedicated Servers, Boston Colocation, Reseller Hosting, VDS/VPS, Web Design, and Full Server Management
  13. No Profile Picture

I am assume as you say its a new laptop its probably runnig windows 8?

I have had problems with win8 wifi on a corporate network.

Is there any security on the wifi wpa\wpa2 mac filtering ect ect.

try removing all of these and see if you get better speeds. The more secure your wifi the slower it becomes as there are more checks in place?

Also try upgrading the FW on your netgear if available.
    I found netgear all in ones to be quite slow in the past which is why I moved over to Cisco\Linksys soho and I get decent enough speeds to stream movies

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo