1. They're coming to take me away

Software to ease system admin?

So, I'm looking to see what software (or options) are available to report an outage to me with as little work on the clients part as possible.

Basically, they have software installed (Windows Media Encoder for live streaming of their radio station). This software has gone down a few times, and they don't alert me until I go in there to make a routine stop (once a week or so). The stream had been down for a few days, and they had been meaning to call me, but kept forgetting. So I'm looking into the best option to (hopefully) get automatically notified when something on their network goes down. I know for certain software, there is the option to be emailed or whatnot when something on the network isn't working as it should.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You could use something like nagios, if it runs on windows anyway. There are quite a few server monitoring programs available from the simple to the very complex, from free to very expensive.

Nagios btw is closer to the very complex rather than the simple
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. They're coming to take me away

Thanks Doug. I knew there were some out there, but was looking for recommendations to see what others have used.

I'll take a look at Nagios to see what the functionality is. I'm not looking for anything to major, as pretty much the only concern I have is when the stream goes down. Was even considering placing a link on each of their workstations that would automatically send me a distress email (or text) saying to contact them. At least then I could at least call them and get their problem resolved quickly.

But having a program to alert me when their encoder goes down would be the best option for me as that seems to be the most important.

Thanks again for the suggestion.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I used some windows freebie years ago called server watcher. It monitored for the web server being up.

I only every messed with nagios on linux systems, never on windows. As I recall it's a plugin type system where you can create plugins to monitor a particular type of server process (email, ftp, http, etc). It does run on windows machines so I've heard, but I really am not all that familiar with the application, I've only dabbled a bit.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo