1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Static IP Address to an Intranet

I need to have a website access software on a computer within our companies Intranet. I am a little confused about the whole thing. Here is how our network is setup. We have a single static IP address. We have a DSL router that is linked to a Cisco router. The Cisco router is set to forward all HTTP request to a computer within our Intranet (computer A). Now I need to have access to a specific port on another computer (B). I have set the port forwarding in the Cisco router to the port on computer B which has a manually assigned IP address. Computer B is Windows 7 and I opened the port on the Windows firewall using the wizard.

If I telnet from a Mac within our Intranet to the IP address and Port of computer B it times out. If I use the website yougetsignal.com to check my port is open, it says the port is closed.

I only know enough about this to be dangerous. One other thing is the way an IT guy setup our routers is the DSL router has DHCP and NAT enabled. It also has port forwarding set to port 0 - 65535 and all IPs to forward to the Cisco IP. The Cisco router has has DHCP and NAT enabled
    Have Eternal Life
    Learning is so unproductive...
    The more I learn the more questions I have!
    Therefore I am going backwards.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If I telnet from a Mac within our Intranet to the IP address and Port of computer B it times out.
    That suggests to me that either there is a firewall issue on computer B, or you have nothing running on it that is listening on that port.

I'm assuming you can ping computer B from the Mac?
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Thanks for the help. Yes I can ping the computer from any computer on the intranet. I have another thought about this. We have only one static IP from our ISP. In my mind the way it works from what I read is anyone on the internet who types in that IP address will get sent to our router. Then our router routes the various request to a specific internal IP address within the local network. Here is where I am confused. Does it do this by port. So lets say a request sent to our router IP address with port 80 will get route to our web server (B) at its internal IP address. Then another request comes as an FTP request at port 21, it gets sent by the router to an FTP server (A) at its internal IP address. Or do we need a separate static IP address from our IPS for A and B?
    Have Eternal Life
    Learning is so unproductive...
    The more I learn the more questions I have!
    Therefore I am going backwards.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

In my mind the way it works from what I read is anyone on the internet who types in that IP address will get sent to our router. Then our router routes the various request to a specific internal IP address within the local network.
    Yes that's correct

Does it do this by port.
    Yes

Or do we need a separate static IP address from our IPS for A and B?
    Not if the ports are different.

However, if you're getting a timeout when you connect from another machine on the intranet then the problem is not with the router. Port forwarding doesn't even come into play unless the request is made externally. The fact it's failing internally means there is something wrong on the server (not a networking problem).
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo