1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Tracking down a bad router

My situation is as follows: I just moved dormitories along with a bunch of other guys, and the internet is in bad shape. It keeps losing connection, failing to get an IP address and some guys can't connect at all. A friend of mine told me that this can happen if somebody plugs a router into the wall using one of the switch ports instead of the internet connection port, causing his router to try to handle DNS for everybody despite not having any internet access.

Before I go knocking on every door in the building to find the idiot who plugged in his router wrong, is there any way I can get more information about what I'm looking for? When I go to the network page there are about 20 machines constantly disconnecting and reconnecting, and I can't tell which, if any, is the point of origin.

Am I on the right track here? Is there any way to prove that this is what's going on? And if so, what can I learn using my computer before I go knocking on doors? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It may help to explain a little more about your network setup. What are the wall connections connected to? What do you mean by "network page"?

In my experience, most large buildings that are wired for Ethernet would have switching equipment configured to block rogue DHCP servers. What you're describing is possible, but if the network is well designed shouldn't be happening even if someone did plug in their router incorrectly.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo