1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Trouble accessing file shares at one location

Hello,

Hoping for some suggestions on an issue with one of our sites. We have 30 different campuses across the country all on the same domain, same subnet.

At one location none of the users can access the root drive of any network share that we have on the network. They can access sub directories, but not the root share folder. For example, browsing to \\share gives them an error but browsing to \\share\subdirectory works fine.

Users can ping the server(s), nslookup resolves.

Each campus has one cisco router and one or two cisco switches. As far as I can tell this site is configured exactly the same as the others, but I'm not a Cisco expert. Firewalls are turned off on the server(s). It's driving me nuts.

Any suggestions on a path to follow further troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if anyone else wants more detailed information about a particular thing.
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What error is it? Can you pull open Windows' Event Viewer on an affected machine and see if it logged any relevant messages?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    What error is it? Can you pull open Windows' Event Viewer on an affected machine and see if it logged any relevant messages?
    My apologies, I thought I put the error in there. It basically says "Windows cannot access \\share" and in details it shows "Error code:0x80070035 The network path was not found".

Event viewer does not show anything.
  7. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

What OS is that server running? Also, have you gone over permissions (for the sharing, not the folder security itself)?
    Adam TT
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by AdamPI
    What OS is that server running? Also, have you gone over permissions (for the sharing, not the folder security itself)?
    This happens with both Server 2003 and Server 2008. We have checked permissions. I can browse to \\share on my computer without issues, but if I RDP into a computer at this location I get the error as well. It's somehow specific to this one location.
  11. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

What about policy objects? Check your gpo editor and try re-forcing it on the test box.
    Last edited by AdamPI; August 8th, 2011 at 01:40 PM.
    Adam TT
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by AdamPI
    What about policy objects? Check your gpo editor and try re-forcing it on the test box.
    We have a remote technician who is based out of this location, but his computer and user accounts are in the same OU as me for our central location. He doesn't get the same computer or user GPO's, but he still has this issue. As far as I can tell this site's GPO's are the same as the other locations.

I'm almost thinking the only thing I haven't checked extensively are the router/switches used at the location. I'm not a Cisco expert by any means, so I'm not exactly sure what to check for. We only have read access to the equipment because they are managed devices with Verizon. As far as I know they basically just do a copy/paste for our configs and this site "shouldn't" be any different than the others.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo