1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Trouble Communicating Between Subnets?

I think thats my problem, at least. Well, I have 2 diff. subnets; 192.168.0.x and 192.168.2.x

My domain controller is on the 192.168.0 subnet, its IP is 192.168.0.5

My laptop is on the .2 subnet, and I cant establish a communication between the two in order to join my domain. I can ping the IP address, but not the host name. I have created DNS entries on my DNS server (same as DC), but still nothing. any ideas as to what i am doing wrong?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

anyone?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you have two different networks you need a router to communicate between them.
  7. No Profile Picture
    network dude
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

If you have two fifferent networks you will need to connect the two with a router. A router could be a PC with two NIC's in it or whatever. One thing you will need to do also is allow the router to pass broadcasts to join the domain from one network to the other as lets say a cisco router you would add an IP helper.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ok here is my situation..... cable modem goes to router 1, router 1 goes to several computers, and into router2 which goes into several computers as well. computer on router1 cannot see computers on router2, unless i type in an IP address... for example 192.168.0.5 is my webserver, which can be accessed from any computer, if i specify the IP and not the host name...
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If devices can see each other by IP address but not DNS then DNS is at issue.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally posted by dbasnett
    If devices can see each other by IP address but not DNS then DNS is at issue.
    thats what i thought. i went and checked my DNS server and one of the computers had multiple IPs in its DNS record. i THINK it is because i have VMWare on that machine... anyways, i deleted the extra IPs and everything is under control now.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo