1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unable to set up a LAN with internet access.

Hello,

This is my first post ever on any forum, so please excuse me for any errors.

I own a small IT Training institute and I need to have a client-server set up installed in my lab. Below is the hardware I currently have in the computer lab.

- Windows 2003 Professional Server with 1 NIC installed.
    - 10 Client machines with different OS. A couple of machines are on wireless NIC and I wish to have these machines too, to be on domain.
    - A WiFi Router.
    - An ADSL router from ISP.
    - A 16-port switch.

A brief description of my requirement:

I want to have all my systems on the domain with the internet access. Also, students carry their laptops in the institute and I wish to allow them to use my internet connection over wireless network without having them registered on domain.

Is it possible for someone to take me through the steps I need to follow to achieve this.

Thanks in advance.

Amit G
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Your ADSL router would provide internet access to your users; as well as a basic firewall to protect your LAN. You would connect the switch to the ADSL router, and then connect the server, clients, and wifi router to the switch.

You would turn off DHCP on BOTH the wifi router and ADSL router. You'll give the wifi router a static IP address associated with the LAN and configure your wireless settings to allow clients on the network.

The server will provide DHCP and DNS functions; as well as Active Directory for your domain. All client PCs and the wifi router should utilize the server for DNS and DHCP (note that the wifi router will have a static IP assigned so it won't need to use DHCP, but you still need to tell it to use the server for DNS resolution).

As for your guests, see if the wifi router supports a guest network, many of the routers you purchase today do. This will keep your guests from accessing your LAN.

So in short, it should go Internet>ADSL router>Switch>everything else.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thank you seak79 for your reply. I will try what you have suggested hear. In case, I face any trouble, I request you to back me up.

Amit G

Originally Posted by seack79
    Your ADSL router would provide internet access to your users; as well as a basic firewall to protect your LAN. You would connect the switch to the ADSL router, and then connect the server, clients, and wifi router to the switch.

You would turn off DHCP on BOTH the wifi router and ADSL router. You'll give the wifi router a static IP address associated with the LAN and configure your wireless settings to allow clients on the network.

The server will provide DHCP and DNS functions; as well as Active Directory for your domain. All client PCs and the wifi router should utilize the server for DNS and DHCP (note that the wifi router will have a static IP assigned so it won't need to use DHCP, but you still need to tell it to use the server for DNS resolution).

As for your guests, see if the wifi router supports a guest network, many of the routers you purchase today do. This will keep your guests from accessing your LAN.

So in short, it should go Internet>ADSL router>Switch>everything else.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo