Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Retired Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Post Useful Information and Resources

Hi everyone!

Welcome to the Networking Help Forums. Please use this forum to troubleshoot any networking problems that you may be having, including problems with routers, switches, small networks, and file sharing.

This sticky contains the following posts:

• Network troubleshooting guide
    • Solution to "Access is Denied" error message
    • How to post your IP configuation details
    • Useful network resources
    • Useful network diagrams

Update: This thread is now open so that anyone can post useful networking information for others to read. If you've got something that you think others would benefit from, please post it in this thread (but please remember that this thread is not the location for posting questions - create a new thread for this instead).

If you've got a question to ask, please note that there are other forums in the System Administration section which may be more appropiate for your question: Mail Server Help, Apache Development, Security Policies, DNS, IIS.

Please post sensibly and kindly, and help keep the Networking Help Forums useful for everyone.

Thanks for coming to this section of Dev Shed. I hope that you will return and any questions you have are answered.

Please direct all questions about this forum to me via private messaging.

Thank you,
    Edwin

Comments on this post

• mike_burtie disagrees : He gave me excellent help with my Networking issues
    • funkyfoof agrees : proxy from cybersaga
    • SimonGreenhill agrees
    • ChiefWigs1982 agrees
    • Markisdee disagrees : he also gave me excellent help
    • cody_e agrees : :)
    • compmodder26 agrees : Brilliant!!!
    Last edited by edwinbrains; April 16th, 2006 at 03:38 PM.
  3. Retired Moderator

Network troubleshooting guide

Before posting a problem in the Networking Help forum, please use this checklist to eliminate common problems, to prevent you posting unnecessarily:

• Check that the TCP/IP network protocol is installed on all computers and that it is configured correctly. If you are using DHCP, make sure that an IP address has been correctly assigned to the computer. If you are manually assigning the IP addresses, make sure that they are set correctly. For example, set the IP addresses on the 192.168.0.x subnet, and make sure that the subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0.

• Check that the computers are on the same workgroup.

• Check if you can ping from one computer to the other.

• Check that the wires are correctly connected, and any wireless devices are in range.

• Check for firewall software. This needs to be disabled or configured for home networking. Also, if you are using Windows XP, check that Internet Connection Firewall is not enabled on the network connection.

• If you are using Windows 2000 or XP, make sure that the Guest account is enabled.

• Try running the Windows XP Network Setup Wizard (if you have Windows XP). This may help solve your problems.

• If you have trouble browsing the Internet, check if you have a DNS problem. Your computer needs a DNS server to translate a domain name to an IP address. Try browsing to the site http://66.102.9.104. If you can access this site, but can't browse to www.google.com, then you do have a DNS problem. You need to look on your ISPs website for the addresses of their two DNS servers, and then you need to put these into the settings of your local network connection. On Windows 2000/XP, you can open the Network Connections section from the Control Panel and right-click your network connection. Select Properties then double-click Internet Protocol TCP/IP. You should then see two boxes where you can enter the IP addresses of the DNS servers. On Windows 98/Me the process is pretty similar, although you need to find a section named Network in the Control Panel.

If you can't solve your problem working through the checklist above, then feel free to create a new post within the Networking Help forum. Please post as much information as possible, as the more information experts have, the more easily they can answer your questions. You may also find that posting IP configuration details help to solve your problem more quickly (see below for details).

Comments on this post

• Jai247 agrees
    Last edited by edwinbrains; May 29th, 2004 at 10:50 AM.
  5. Retired Moderator

Solution to "Access is Denied" error message

Please read the post at the bottom of this thread (located here) before following any of the advice in this post.

If you have having a problem with an "Access Denied" error message while trying to access shared files/folders, the following information may help.

This was originally posted AWeenieMan.

Originally Posted by AWeenieMan
    The situation is a Windows 2000, Windows 98, and Windows XP machine wired to a router, and 2 Windows XP machines on wireless. The 2000 and 98 machine had file sharing working correctly (after enabling guest account in 2000). I could access the shares for the XP computers by typing \\Computer1\ShareName, but not by typing \\Computer1.

After about a week of working on this, I managed to find this workaround/solution.

Basically, what I ended up doing is going into Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management.

From there, navigate to the Users folder, and double click on the Guest user. I then added this user to the the group Power Users. I can now type \\Computer1 and the share listing comes up (but not the scheduled tasks folder). If you add Guest to the Administrators group, you have access to the scheduled tasks as well. This is of course you have your computer setup to have all network users log on as guests (which is the default for xp professional anyway).

Well I hope that helps. It might not be the best method for a public windows workgroup, but if you're talking a home network, it seems to work fine. Plus, it might at least give you an idea of a direction in which to head.
    This was originally posted by jereyeeha80.

Originally Posted by jereyeeha80
    Ok, I've had the same problem as described above (\\Machine not accessible... access denied), using an XP Home machine as a server for my local network, and solved it this way:

Using Regedit.exe ...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
    DWORD KEY "restrictanonymous" = 0

Then reboot. Notice that it lowers somewhat the security level for the anonymous logins on your XP Home PC, so you should have on top of this an independent firewall enabled (ZoneAlarm for instance). But who hasn't ?

Hope that works for you too.
    This was originally posted by PilotTech.

Originally Posted by PilotTech
    I found I had to do:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
    DWORD KEY "restrictanonymoussam" = 0

because after a reboot, "restrictanonymous" always seemed to get set back to 0. Still seems to work for me. I'm not sure what the difference between the 2 keywords is.

Comments on this post

• juniperr disagrees : "restrictanonymous=0" allows null sessions (any unauthenticated user) to see all local user accounts, shares, policies, and much more. http://online.securityfocus.com/infocus/1352 using the correct mapping syntacs is what you need to learn.
    • LinuxPenguin agrees : balance with VAT :)
    Last edited by edwinbrains; June 13th, 2005 at 03:58 PM.
  7. Retired Moderator

How to post your IP configuation details

If you would like to post IP configuration details with your post to help troubleshoot your network problem, please follow the steps listed below, depending on your operating system.

Windows 2000/XP:

Click Start, Run and type cmd. In the black Command Prompt that opens, type:
    ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
    Close the Command Prompt then browse to the C drive on your computer. Find the file named ipconfig.txt, open it, and copy the contents into your post.

Windows 98/Me:

Click Start, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt. In the black MS-DOS Prompt that opens, type:
    ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
    Close the MS-DOS Prompt then browse to the C drive on your computer. Find the file named ipconfig.txt, open it, and copy the contents into your post.
    Last edited by edwinbrains; May 29th, 2004 at 10:58 AM.
  9. Retired Moderator

Useful network resources

A useful site for finding out about more advanced technologies involved in networking:
    http://labmice.techtarget.com/

About.com site giving information on wireless networking:
    http://compnetworking.about.com/

About.com site giving information about the Internet and network security:
    http://netsecurity.about.com/

Guides on setting up your own home network:
    http://www.homenethelp.com/

Microsoft's site showing how Windows XP can easily be used in a home network:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...et/default.asp

A site giving detailed information on how to configure port forwarding on lots of different routers.
    http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

Two sites giving details about setting up a network bridge in Windows XP:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april22.mspx
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../wxpbrdge.html

There are lots of resources on the Internet that help you with networking. If you've found one which you think is particularly useful, please let me know via private messaging and I should be able to add it to the list.
    Last edited by edwinbrains; April 17th, 2006 at 03:09 PM.
  11. Retired Moderator

Useful network diagrams

If you are having trouble setting up your first network, and don't know what to plug where, then the following diagrams may help you.

1. wireless_router.jpg
    This diagram shows you how you would use a wireless router to connect both a wired and wireless computer together, sharing the Internet.

2. wireless_access_point.jpg
    Similar to diagram one, this shows you how you would setup a wired and wireless network using a standard router with an additional access point.

3. crossover_network.jpg
    This shows you how to connect two computers directly (without the use of a hub or switch) to share the Internet and files.

4. switch_network.jpg
    This diagram shows the connection of three computers to a hub/switch with one computer acting as the Internet host, sharing out the Internet to the other computers.

If you would like any other diagrams here, then please contact me via private messaging.

Comments on this post

• IgnorantNihilist agrees : proxy rep++ from cybersaga
    • pabloj agrees : Very nice
    Attached Images
  13. No Profile Picture
    network dude
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

FYI "restrictanonymoussam" = 0 in sticky temp

Please read what this does to your security before you use it. The people who listed this for fixing problems are basicly not using the correct syntax for mapping and lowering there security to allow anonymouse access to there boxes as it will allow anyone (user anonymous) to see all local user accounts and shared drives on your machine with tools like userdumb.

http://windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/44413/44413.html

http://www.hsc.fr/ressources/articles/win_net_srv/ch04s06s10.html

http://online.securityfocus.com/infocus/1352

If you do want to allow anonymous access to shares use this from microsoft...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289655/

Comments on this post

• edwinbrains agrees : Thanks for pointing this out
    • Jai247 agrees
    • pabloj agrees
  15. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

There are also a couple of other really great resources stickied on our sister site at Dev Hardware. They include Home Networking with Windows XP by moistmule and How to Diagnose a Slow or Broken Connection by Nilpo.

Comments on this post

• edwinbrains agrees
    Last edited by nilpo; October 10th, 2006 at 02:29 PM.
    Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  17. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

One system has "access denied"

I have a 3-system Win XP Pro LAN through a router. Internet browsing works fine.
    Computers 1 and 2 share files with no problem.
    But system 3 is almost inaccessible to the other systems.
    On #3, I can ping both the loopback address 127.0.0.1 and the local host IP address and default gateway. But I cannot ping the IP address of the #2 or #1, nor can I ping #3 from the other two systems.
    From #2 or #1, I cannot see a shared folder on system #3. But from #3, I can browse a shared folder on the other two systems, though I cannot copy a file from there to #3. When I try to copy the file, I get the "access denied" error.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : archangel

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-D8-C9-2D-VX

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.112

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

19. No Profile Picture

Vista pc/XP pc Networking Problem

Please give some step-by-step instructions on how to check that the TCP/IP network protocol is installed on all computers and that it is configured correctly. I have two desktops connected to a router, one running XP sp3 and the other, Vista Home Premium. Thanks.

[list][*]Check that the TCP/IP network protocol is installed on all computers and that it is configured correctly.
  21. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by ganam
    Please give some step-by-step instructions on how to check that the TCP/IP network protocol is installed on all computers and that it is configured correctly. I have two desktops connected to a router, one running XP sp3 and the other, Vista Home Premium. Thanks.

[list][*]Check that the TCP/IP network protocol is installed on all computers and that it is configured correctly.
    You can verify that TCP/IP is installed and operational by pinging the local loopback adapter. (ping 127.0.0.1) I believe this is covered in my network troubleshooting guide listed above.
    Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

juniper isn't that link you posted is a guide for NT and windows 2000? I did follow those instructions, but I ran into a line that was beyond my expertise:

If the program uses named pipes and requires null session support, locate the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\NullSessionPipes
    NOTE: NullSessionPipes is a REG_MULTI_SZ value.

On a new line in the NullSessionPipes key, type the name of the pipe that you want to access with a null session.

What does it mean by "type the name of the pipe that you want to access with a null session" ?
  25. No Profile Picture
    I AM A GOLDEN GOD
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Originally Posted by edwinbrains
    Update: This thread is now open so that anyone can post useful networking information for others to read. If you've got something that you think others would benefit from, please post it in this thread (but please remember that this thread is not the location for posting questions - create a new thread for this instead).
    You'll note the last relevant post in this thread was back in 2006.

Perhaps the <current> mods need to rethink this.
    "Seriously, we're not a search engine, we're actual people." ~ ManiacDan

BookMooch.com : Give books away. Get books you want.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I definitely agree with you there. This forum seems to be dead.

Comments on this post

• lnxgeek disagrees : (0) That wasn't my point. Stop posting this thread.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

hi

Thanks for your share!
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo