1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I want to use vpn with no-ip ... how?

hi networking dudes,

i have a small network (win 2003 domain - IP range 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254) with the following connection:

client PCs (joined to the domain) --- switch -- server (domain controller, DNS, ISA2004) -- DSL modem -- internet

meaning client computers and the server are connected to the swicth. the server has 2 NICs; 1 connected to the switch and the other one is connected to the DSL modem.

in the server, the IP settings in the 1st NIC is as follwos:
    IP 192.168.0.1/24 - No Default Gateway - preferred DNS Server 192.168.0.1

the IP settings in the 2nd NIC is as follwos:
    IP 192.168.1.1/24 - Default Gateway 192.168.1.100 - preferred DNS Server 192.168.0.1

The DSL modem's IP is 192.168.1.100

network is up and running. internet is working fine for all users.

what i want is to let the laptop users access an internal file server in the network through vpn whenever they are working from outside the office.

note that i don't have a static IP because of budget issues.

i have registered with no-ip and installed the client software.

can you tell me how to do that?

note: DSL modem is speedtouch 546.

ThanQ
  3. Retired Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I've never used no-ip so I'm not sure, but I'd imagine that you run the client software on your server. This runs all the time and monitors your external IP address. Whenever this changes, it should notify no-ip and let them know about the IP change. They should then update your A record (do they give you username.no-ip.com or something similar?) so that the subdomain always points to your actual external IP. Then, the remote clients should just be able to use this subdomain (rather than specifiying an actual IP address) to connect to your server.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by edwinbrains
    I've never used no-ip so I'm not sure, but I'd imagine that you run the client software on your server. This runs all the time and monitors your external IP address. Whenever this changes, it should notify no-ip and let them know about the IP change. They should then update your A record (do they give you username.no-ip.com or something similar?) so that the subdomain always points to your actual external IP. Then, the remote clients should just be able to use this subdomain (rather than specifiying an actual IP address) to connect to your server.
    which ports should i open in the DSL modem?
  7. No Profile Picture
    network dude
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

shouldnt need to open any, the server inside the network should contact them via the client software to make the change.
  9. No Profile Picture

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo