1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Wifi problem for Samsung Ativ Book 9 running Windows 8.1

I've been having some issues with my WLAN for quite some time now. The problem is that I get a very unstable internet connection, or no connection at att when I am in a different room than the wireless router.

If I sit close to the router, it works perfectly. If i move to the next room I still get good signal strength, but connection gets very unstable.

I am using a Samsung Ativ Book 9 with the Qualcomm Atheros AR946x Wireless Network Adapter running Windows 8.1. The router is a Zyxel P-2812. The router has just been replaced, so I dont think the problem is router specific. I live in an apartment building with many residents (Interference?).

Other computers work just fine, except mine and my sister in law's Samsung laptop.

Does anyone have an idea as to whats going on here? Is the wireless adapter not good enough? Should I by a USB wireless adapter? I that case, which one?

I am very grateful for all answers.
  3. Headless Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Interference can do it. You may have strong signal strength, but interference means dropped packets that have to be resent repeatedly until they make it between you and your router.

You may be able to change wifi channels to reduce interference. Get a wifi scanning program/app and see what kinds of networks you have around you and what channels they use. There are a dozen or so. Your router may also have an "automatic" channel selector that tends to work well enough.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo