1. No Profile Picture
    wanna-be web designer
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Angry WIN XP Network Prob!

ok i have win xp, i have 3 other pc's connected to my broadband dsl router through a linksys hub connected to the bellsouth dsl router....my question is this....i have Star Wars Jedi Outcast(pc game), what i want to do is set up my own playable server on this game...however everytime i try to create a server through the game itself (it has a "create server" option) no one beyond MY pc can see me.....without getting a seperate line for dsl or cable run to my computer so that i dont go through the hub, how can i create a server so that everyone on the internet can see me and join my server....and at the same time have the other 3 pc's blocked off from outside contact????????? any help would be greatly appreciated...as i have been tryin to do this for about 6 months or more, hehe....
  3. Perl Monkey
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

the far end of town where the Grickle-grass grows
    Look at "port forwarding" on your router. You can tell it to forward any incoming connections on a specified port(s) to any IP on the internal network (the one with the game server). You just need to find out which ports need forwarding and how to tell your router to do it.

Many routers have a web-admin page. Try going to http://192.168.0.1 in a browser from inside the network and see if it offers anything. Check documentation of the router for details.
  5. No Profile Picture
    wanna-be web designer

ok ive tried port forwarding b4...i forwarded port 80 for web access and port 28070 (the port the game uses) but it still didnt work....do i need to have a static ip or something cuz i have dhcp enabled on the router (mainly for the other pc's) ??????????
  7. No Profile Picture

ok, try a proxy program, or you said you have xp? connect your internet connection to one computer, then install another adapter in that computer, connect it to the hub and other computers then share the internet over that connection.

wham bam thankyou mam, it should be that easy
  9. No Profile Picture
    wanna-be web designer

but wouldnt that still pose a problem since the hub has a firewall??? and i dont know how to turn it off...lol...

i mean cuz if the internet connection is shared throught the hub then that means that my pc will still be hidden by the firewall, right?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It's not necessary to forward port 80 unless you are running a web server. You can keep DHCP enabled on the router, but on the box running the game server, you must manually configure your IP. Use the IP that you supposedly forwarded your game port to -- so players contacting your WAN IP on the game port will get the correct machine on your LAN. Use the address of your router for the default gateway, and also list it as the primary DNS server.

Last step, XP has a firewall too. In the network configuration for that connection, find an advanced tab for the firewall and add an entry for the game port.
    Last edited by mojosoupus; July 19th, 2003 at 09:03 PM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    wanna-be web designer

by manually configuring the ip addy for the game pc u mean give it a static ip through the router???
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

When packets from the internet arrive at your router addressed to the game port (28070), your router will forward them to the address you set. Therefore, the computer running the game server must always have the same address.

So... on the computer running the game do the following:

Open a MS-DOS window by going to the run line and typing cmd.
    Then type ipconfig. If your network connection is working fine, then use this data when manually setting your IP address.

Open "Network Connections," in the properties for your LAN connection, then open the properties for your internet protocol (TCP/IP).

Choose "Use the following IP address" and fill in using the info in the MS-DOS window. Use the router's address for the preferred DNS server.

Open your browser, type in the router's LAN address and log in. In the router's configuration, change the port forwarding or virtual server address for the game port (28070) to the IP address that you just set on your game server.

Now your game server has a static local address, and the router will allways forward game packets to that address. However, the public internet address for your router is dynamicly configured by your ISP, and will likely change weekly. If you want your friends to allways know where to find your game, there are free services that solve this problem for you. Here is one of the original ones... http://www.dynu.com/ They will give you a free domain name that allways points to the correct IP address.
    Last edited by mojosoupus; July 20th, 2003 at 04:41 PM.
  17. No Profile Picture
    wanna-be web designer

ok and if that for some strange reason doesnt work...what can u guys tell me about using winproxy 3? cuz i have it and ive heard that it would work....cuz see i tried something to see what exactly my prob is...heres what i did...

I opened the game up and pulled up all available servers that i could possibly connect to, K?

i then checked the info of a particular server to get its ip addy...

after writing it down (leaving the game open) i opened command prompt and typed "ping xxx.xxx.x.x" or whatever the addy was to that particular server...

and cha-ching...it sent 4 packets and received 4 packets like it was on my LAN, ya know?

so now i know that throught the port (28070) i can send info out from my pc passing the router, but i cant receive anything incoming such as other people connecting to my pc for example....

so alll i need is some way to make my pc "un-invisible" to incoming or just other pc's over the internet....

this game btw is Star Wars JK2 if anyone is having similar probs or had them and fixed em, lol....

thanks for all ur help....
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You do not need Winproxy. You have everything you need.
  21. No Profile Picture
    wanna-be web designer

ok how bout this.. tell me if u thinkn this will work then.....i know u said something about port forwarding b4 so im gonna try it again....forwardin port 28070(game port) to itself and using the UDP protocol????
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You da man.
  25. No Profile Picture
    wanna-be web designer

does that mean itll work? lol
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Forwarding takes place at the router to the game server. You said the port was 28070. The protocol is TCP.

Try it.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

port fowarding

not big on explaining networking, can do it, just dont like to explain it. but try this, if you are still having problems.
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    they have a description on how to for about every network condition you can imagine, with almost all hardware set ups

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo