1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Angry Win2k networking problem

Hi,

I'm having difficulty with a w2k box. The box in question has a PCI Belkin wireless adapter. I have a netgear DG824M ADSL modem/wireless router.

The modem is setup to dish out ip_addrs in the range 192.168.0.2 - 51, but I've set the DCHP to reserve 192.168.0.4 for the mac on the problem box. An ipconfig on the troublesome box gives 169.254.195.223 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0. The box was working fine for a good few hours until all networking was lost. The user was copying files from a box on the lan and browsing the web (with IE).

The network settings on the box are set up to use dhcp and to get the dns servers automatically.

My networking knowledge is limited (im a programmer so therefore im already disadvantaged ;-), so if anyone any ideas where to start sovling this they'd be appreciated, or a clue as to where it gets 169.254.195.223 from.

On the network I have a number of w2k and linux PCs and a sun box, all work fine. All of which though use a standard network card to the modem (some via a hub).
  3. No Profile Picture

Oops

The subnet is 255.255.0.0 and not 255.255.255.0 as it should be.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The 169. address is provided by Windows when you have a windows computer set to use the dhcp client and the computer can't reach a dhcp server.

Often this is a hardware/cabling/net connection problem
  7. No Profile Picture

ya what he says is right, your computer is trying to assign itself an ip address, the dhcp requests are having problems getting through to the wireless router you have, I would try to not reserve the address on the router and on the problem w2k machine go to the command prompt and try typing: ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew if that doesn't work than it is obvious that something is wrong with the communication between the two devices. Try a ping 127.0.0.1 on the w2k machine to make sure that your NIC is working properly.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

undo the reserved address in the router and see if it connects correctly.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo