Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by kicken
    When it stops working, can you ping your router? Other devices on the local network? Your ISP's gateway/dns servers would be a good next level test also.

Do both IPv4 and IPv6 go out? Try pinging ipv6.google.com (2607:f8b0:4008:80a::200e). People occasionally on the Comcast/Xfinity forums have had issues with IPv4 not working but IPv6 working fine. That shouldn't be something that would come/go with a particular device though.

You could install something like Wireshark on the laptop and monitor traffic. Maybe it's hammering the network with broadcast packets and degrading everything. Something like this happened once at a company I worked for.
    pinging internal machines and router works during issue. Pinging Sky DNS server times out, pinging google IPv6 times out.

I'll look into installing Wireshark or something to monitor the traffic.
  3. No Profile Picture

ok, so I bought a new Windows 10 machine (Dell Inspiron i7) and it has the same issue - either takes down internet connection completely or drops to around 0.3mbps. This occurs whether all over devices are connected too or if it's the only machine connected.

So the issue must be with my network / router setup. I have reset the router to factory settings, but that made no difference. I'm not going to look for the latest update for it.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Simon.
  5. Headless Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Wait, so, you have a new laptop, and if you connect it to the network by itself then you have internet problems? Are there any other devices besides it and the router? What if you disable wifi on the router entirely and only use wired (as a test)?
  7. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 2nd Plane (6000 - 6499 posts)

The symptoms you describe don't really make any sense. The only thing left I could speculate at would be some weird hardware failure in your router, but even that seems kind of far-fetched.

In particular, one machine causing issues with the entire network when connected (whether wireless and wired) doesn't make sense to me. I can't think of any reasonable explanation for that, especially if it happens with a new machine also.

The only thing to do at this point I think is just try and do some traffic monitoring and testing to see if you can spot any potential issues. I'd setup Wireshark and a continuous ping to both google and your ISP's gateway and try to see what happens when it transitions from working to not working.

If you can't figure anything out from there, maybe try replacing the router and/or modem. An updated post with your full network setup details and symptoms might help. Details for each device including how it's connected and what it's IP settings are.
    If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  9. No Profile Picture

Sorry for the false report. The new machine's one drive app was syncing and downloading 30 gigs of data which was hammering the network and slowing it right down. I've disable it and this machine is now working fine.

So it's just the original machine, that has the problem. TBF the HP was a bit slow anyway, so I don't mind upgrading. Just frustrating not know what the issue was.
  11. Headless Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What happens to the network if you boot the bad machine into the BIOS setup screen (and have it plugged in a wired connection)? What if you boot into Safe Mode?

And were you able to get Wireshark running on it?
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo