1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Any windows terminal server alternative?

Hi,
    One of my friend is setting up lan in his company with a centralized win 2003 server and about 20-25 thin clients (with many old pc's). I am helping him on this work. we will be using the server as our application server. Our only problem is the price of terminal server licenses. Does anyone have any better solution other the built in terminal server (possibly free OR low price option sub $300 for 25 users). Our primary concern is implementation of security and policies for users. I have heard about vnc but dont know whether i can implement security policies in it. I will be using thinstation<a linux based thin client installation> for my thin client pc's. As all my applications will be installed on the server only, i want good access speeds on my client pc's.

thanks.
  3. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You can look at ultr@vnc (probably the most advanced VNC derivative, free&open) or at SUN Global Desktop (formerly Tarantella) or at Linux Terminal Server Project (if you need to distribute windows apps you can run them on a linux server with Wine or (commercial) Codeweavers CrossOver Office.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks pabloj.
    Just wanted to know whether it is possible to govern individual user rights and their desktops using a vnc system, because after searching on the web i have read somewhere that vnc can't provide full control over user policies as compared to terminal server and rdp. Also each user has to have a customised desktop without access to the hdd.
    Migrating to linux though a cost effective solution would be quite a painful solution for us, as we have our comany database which is a dos based one. Although i have read about dos emulators, the main problem lies in the fact that i am a total newbie to linux.
  7. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by phneoix
    Thanks pabloj.
    Just wanted to know whether it is possible to govern individual user rights and their desktops using a vnc system, because after searching on the web i have read somewhere that vnc can't provide full control over user policies as compared to terminal server and rdp.
    Don't know as I've used it only for remote administration, but I seem to recall that ultr@vnc has integrated windows auth, which should allow to match vnc users to windows users, each with his own profile.
    Also each user has to have a customised desktop without access to the hdd.
    This seems more a windows administrative problem
    Migrating to linux though a cost effective solution would be quite a painful solution for us, as we have our comany database which is a dos based one. Although i have read about dos emulators, the main problem lies in the fact that i am a total newbie to linux.
    I understand your problems ... which db are you running on? Is it still supported?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by pabloj
    Don't know as I've used it only for remote administration, but I seem to recall that ultr@vnc has integrated windows auth, which should allow to match vnc users to windows users, each with his own profile.This seems more a windows administrative problem
    I understand your problems ... which db are you running on? Is it still supported?

We are running dbase III and dbase IV and a hell lot of programming has gone in customizing these softwares as per the requirments. I am building a database to replace the old system using mysql but it is still a long way off from the level of customization of the orignal system.
    Thanks for ur feedback. I will shortly test the ultravnc system.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo