1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Windows XP to Linux Networking

Hi, I'm a Linux Newbie and have an odd problem with my home network. My setup is as follows:

Windows XP pro box connected to cable modem via USB, which provides my internet access.
    Linux (Red Hat 9.0) box, Windows 2000 laptop, and XBox all connected to XP box via ethernet hub. Internet connection sharing enabled on XP box.
    DHCP used to assign IP addresses, XP box is master.

The Linux, Windows 2000 and XBox machines can all successfully access the internet via the internet connection sharing.

The problem is that I wish to be able to telnet, ftp and browse using IE6 my Linux machine from the XP machine but cannot. I have telnet and ftp servers running on my Linux box, but cannot get a connection from the XP machine. I can ping the Linux machine from the XP machine and vice-versa.

The biggest wierdness arose when I set up a Lotus Domino server on the Linux machine. Part of the set-up for this is that the Domino server starts up in a set-up mode and needs to be configured through a browser. Using the URL 'http://192.168.0.21:8081' I was able to access the Domino server from the XP machine. However, once set-up was complete and the Domino server restarted in normal mode, I was unable to access it on any port from the XP machine.

Sorry if I have made a stupid mistake with my setup, but right now I am flummoxed!

Matt
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It sounds to me like your RedHat firewall is blocking your traffic.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Hello,

As Doug suggested it could be iptables is dropping your packets. This could well be if you chose one of the 'standard' installs instead of using custom configuration for RH9.

personaly i feel you would be better off having our linux box as the gateway instead of the windows machine.

As for telnet and ftp i suppose you have set the init scripts to start up at your normal runlevel (which i guess to be 5)

all the best
    A lean and mean secure FTP applet with GUI. Just 150 kb in size
    http://www.radinks.com/sftp
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Talking Thanks

Thanks Doug G and e4c5, it was the firewall settings. In the immortal words of Homer (Simpson) 'D'oh!'

Matt

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo